• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable shocks comment.

Planetcat

NAXJA Forum User
I've always run Rancho 9000 or 9000x's. They're convenient, but one thing I've noticed is that on lightweight lifted vehicles, the softest setting is not that soft. I think this is because Rancho uses the full size truck shocks for lifted vehicles. I don't know this for sure, but my 9000x's on my XJ feel like setting "3" on my stock Dodge Durango.

I just went from rancho 9000s to OME long travel shocks and have no complaints at all I hoped that the ride wouldnt be bad it isnt not to mention I get 11" of travel versus 9-10" on the ranchos....I agree with the heavier valving on the rancho plus no gas charging so they fade really fast my OMEs dont fade at all...
themud
luck
:D

themud said:
I just went from rancho 9000s to OME long travel shocks and have no complaints at all I hoped that the ride wouldnt be bad it isnt not to mention I get 11" of travel versus 9-10" on the ranchos....I agree with the heavier valving on the rancho plus no gas charging so they fade really fast my OMEs dont fade at all...
themud
luck
:D

how much did you spend on OME ?

themud said:
I agree with the heavier valving on the rancho plus no gas charging so they fade really fast my OMEs dont fade at all...

Rancho 9000s and Rancho 5000s are gas-charged. Always have been, as far as I know. Got the 2001 Rancho Master Catalog right here.

I stand corrected on the gas charging maybe I should say my 9000 tended to fade pretty quickly on washboard roads....I m sure that was because I had them set on a lower setting because they tended to ride heavy(see general unhappiness with rancho 5000s)...If I left them on a higher setting I would need to check my spine at the front of the trail so it didnt get bruised so badly but they wouldnt fade then....I still stand by my statement that their a shock designed for heavier vehicles and our xj just dont tip the scales enough...As for the OME long travels I picked them up through Dirk at DPG offroad he even matched the price at RE website(I try not to deal with RE direct anymore) But Dirk is a great guy to do business with...I do recommend that you have a least 4" of lift for the OME LTs otherwise you better get longer bumpstops!!!!
luck
themud:)

I don't know anything about the 9000x's other than it seems they didn't change that much. 9000's fade because they are tri-tube shocks and have very little oil inside of them. For many types of offroading that's really unimportant. I run in the desert a lot and use shocks in a different way. I haven't seen anything that fades as fast as the ranchos when you pick up speed and hit a washboard.

Marcus

Back