• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

backlash spec question...

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I set up my Dana 44 rear last night w/new gears and bearings. (Yukon) We didn't have the install instructions from Yukon, so we used a set of directions from Precision Gear. They said the backlash should be .008-.010". We got it with a good pattern and the backlash at just over .008". This morning I downloaded the set-up guide from Yukon, and THEY specify the setting at .006-.010". We're still in spec, but I wonder why Yukon wants their gears "tighter". I've seen specs on the 'Net at up to .015" for the Dana 44.
Should I try to get it tighter?:confused:
TIA!

if you have a good pattern right now, consider tightening up the backlash to around .004-.006" don't bother taking another pattern, cause it will show pinion too deep.

dana axles seem to be notrious for opening up.

that's why I set them up so i can pull a good pattern with an in-spec backlash, then tighten up the backlash to around .003-.004"

I recently checked my dana 44 (eb axle) to see what it had done, and it did open up to .007 from around .004.

I like that better than it opening up OUT of spec.

when the carrier flexes during hi-torque loads, the contact pattern will move slightly from a centered pattern (assuming the set-up was correct) outward toward the heel and topland.

I like a little tighter backlash which will be a *touch* towards the toe and root of the gear.

all of my R&P jobs appear to have a perfect pattern after break-in.

post some pics of your pattern if you want.

the above is just a personal testimony based on a relatively small number of R&P jobs, maybe 20 all told.

your results may vary.

Back