• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 rear beef

morenmoretoys

NAXJA Forum User
i'm currently running a D44 rear out of a 87 XJ. its welded and has 4.88s, thats about it. oh ya, 36x12.50 SXs

on saturday at holllister hills i broke the rear drivers side shaft. nevermind the fact that i was using a little too much right foot, cause i know i'd do it again.

who makes aftermarket rear shafts? which ones are the best, and the best price. prices would be great. 30 spline cause i dont have the cash for a 33 spline locker.

next comes the rear brakes, me and drum brakes dont get along... i hate them, they hate me. i know i could order disks from a number of companies, or i could come up on some ZJ disks, both of these options seem way too expensive.

my thaught is to take some front rotors, with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, slide them onto the lugs, then take the caliper off the same vehicle, and make a bracket for it out of steel plate, then weld the bracket to the axle, run some brake lines and call it good. originaly i was thinking running XJ disks, then it occured to me (as i was changing the front axle i broke at the same time i broke the rear) that the pads in the front ride on that part of the knuckle that they ride on (hard to explain), and not on the caliper. so i need to go to the junk yard and figure out what vehicle has front (or rear) disks with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and has the pads attached to the caliper, so i just have make a mount for the caliper.

if this helps to clarify, it would be just like putting disks on a 14 bolt using 3/4 ton front disks, but on a smaller scale.

anybody have any ideas, either about the axle or the brakes?

thanks,
Jeff

Drivetrain direct sell replacements axle for around $139 each side without bearings.

axleonly.jpg

axle shaft

I have a drivers side shaft, used but with new bearings and seals. You pay shipping and $125 and its yours.
Shipping is from zip 93422 and it weighs maybe 15lbs?
I also have a brand new passenger side one complete if you want it.

Wade
[email protected]

If I were looking for HD 30 spline shafts for a XJ 44, I'd be on the phone to Moser Engineering or Dutchman Motorsports for some alloys.

Goatman had Dutchman make his, they might have his specs on file still... Moser wanted me to send them both my OEM shafts from which they would make theirs from, that seemed a PITA, and I decided just to stick with OEM. IIRC the price was approx $300 for a pair.

As for the brakes, Kevin Wallace made a set for the Giveaway XJ and for his XJ 44 using the OEM XJ rotors/calipers and a custom bracket. With the bracket, it is a slick pretty much 'bolt-on' set, and the only drawback being it has no provision for a handbrake anymore.

woody said:

As for the brakes, Kevin Wallace made a set for the Giveaway XJ and for his XJ 44 using the OEM XJ rotors/calipers and a custom bracket. With the bracket, it is a slick pretty much 'bolt-on' set, and the only drawback being it has no provision for a handbrake anymore.

Anyone try using a mechanical line-lock for an "e-brake" in a set-up like this?

Back