• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alt. caseing......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
What is it made of? The alt I got has one of the post broken off. Could it be welded back?

See if a magnet sticks to it, if it does, you can weld it. If the post you are talking about is where the wire hooks up, toss it. There are so many in abundance, its not really worth the time to fix it.

Ecarlcl

Are you suggesting......

I toss the alt.? No that woudl be like burning $20! What I paid for it. Or are you suggesting that the post is not needed?

If it's the post, you can get a new one. If it's the casing, gut it and toss it as scrap. It's cast aluminum, and isn't worth welding. You can score another alternator at the boneyard and transfer the guts, or a local shop might have a spare case lying about - the Delcos and Mitsubishi alternators are so common it isn't worth trying to fix it!

5-90

You cant spit without it landing on a GM single wire alternator man. Or am I talking out of my a** and XJ's use mopar alternators?

We used Delco units until MY1990, and then ChryCo switched to Mitsubishi units (since ChryCo owns Mitsubishi Motors anyhow.) Either way, they're about as common as ants. Unless you are trying to do something exotic, they are cheaper to replace than repair.

5-90

Back