• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who Runs a Full Detroit in the front D30?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody out there running a full detroit locker in a front D30 non-disco axle on a Cherokee or Wrangler? Does it make any noise while in 2wd? Do you notice it while in 2wd? I've got the NP231, not the 242, so full-time 4wd won't be an issue. Most of the guys I hear about run a lunchbox in the front like a Lock-Right or Aussie. I know a Detroit is stronger because it replaces the carrier and all that, but is it necessary to have it stronger or do the lunchboxes hold up fine? TIA.

P.S. I'm having new gears put in at the same time so extra labor isn't an issue.

xj92 said:
Anybody out there running a full detroit locker in a front D30 non-disco axle on a Cherokee or Wrangler? Does it make any noise while in 2wd? Do you notice it while in 2wd?

I had one in my '93 XJ, non-disco axle. It made some racheting noise in 2wd until I swithced to 80W-140 gear oil then the noise went away. Handling wise there is no difference than an open front end while in 2wd.

xj92 said:
I know a Detroit is stronger because it replaces the carrier and all that, but is it necessary to have it stronger or do the lunchboxes hold up fine? TIA.

P.S. I'm having new gears put in at the same time so extra labor isn't an issue.

Since you're regearing anyway you might as well go with a Detroit. By the time you bought a low gear ratio carrier and a lunchbox locker you would be approaching the cost of a Detroit so you might as well upgrade.

Second that, i always use 80W-140 in my diffs and the front D30 detroit ist really quiet and not noticeable in 2 WD.

Back