• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98-01 model differences

92xjsp

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I would think this has been covered before but search turns up nothing under “model history” “model differences” “year differences”. What are the model differences between model years for 98-01 Cherokees? I’m mainly concerned with mechanical differences, especially things that would affect later mods to a trail jeep. I’m thinking about buying one of the later years while I can still get one with low miles, use it as a DD for a few years while I modify my 92, and then modify the new one in 5 years or so.

I know they changed the front diff - was that in 2000? Still a D-30 but they went to a low pinion, right?

Between Edmunds and Consumer Guide, they list these things:

99 – “revised electronics” for “greater engine efficiency” (what does this mean, what exactly did they do, reprogram the ECU?)
- new exhaust catalyst, also supposedly for greater engine efficiency (wasn’t this about when all of the car-makers learned how to spread the catalyst thinner so they could use less precious metals? how does that help engine efficiency?)

00 – more refined version of the 4.0, ran quieter and cleaner (again, what changed exactly?)
- auto trans modified for smoother shifts (details)
- 16 inch wheels for Ltd and Classic

01 – none listed

Neither one mentions the low-pinion diff on the front so that doesn't give me a lot of confidence that these sources have the info on mechancial changes.

What are other mechanical differences, and what are the details of the engine and tranny changes?

They eliminated the distributor and went to a 3 coil setup, each coil fires two plugs.
Other changes were mostly cosmetic though I do think they improved the electric fuel pump. The 97/98 and some 99 fuel pumps had problems with the sender resistors flaking off and giving bad readings. They also improved the connectors in the back of the instrument panel so they would not come loose anymore.
Colored bumpers, no more basic black that I have seen. 99 on up all seem to have color matched bumpers and wheel moulding.

They did go to a low pinion for some of 99's all 00 & 01's
and i think all later models have rear 8.25 but i'm not sure

Yeah, I thought I heard too that all later model XJs had 8.25s and that they were beefier than the earlier 8.25s. Hope somebody can give details on this.

And I forgot about the distributorless ignition but I had also heard about that, starting in 00 I think. Damn, these car site model histories don't say a thing about any of this, wonder where I could find a mechanical year-by-year differences chart? Seems like Chrysler would put one out somewhere.

In 97 they switched the 8.25 to a 29-spline axle instead of a 27 spline (some 96's also have the 29-spline).

The distrubitorless ignition system is pretty nice really - not only are there fewer moving parts to break, but you don't have wires running around to lose power and cause interference and whatnot. It also seals much better against water. Not sure how much performace is gained out of it, especially since they changed a number of other things at the same time. But because it fires two cylinders at once (one during ignition the other during exhaust to burn off excess unburned fuel) it managed to move the 00-01 into Low Emission Vehicle status. Apparently CA 00 and all 01's (not really sure about this though) have 2 precat's before the cat to also help reduce emissions.

Also in 00 they changed to a new exhaust system (hence, the LP D30 to make room for it), a revised intake (also on 99's?) and a revised water pump.

HP ratings were increased by 3; but manufacturers HP figures are notoriously inaccurate, so it's mostly irrelevant. My XJ weighs several hundred pounds more, at least, than a friend's 99 SE (basically the only option it has is the 4.0 and AW4, if the AW4 was an option) and seems to be just as quick. Of course, that's not a very scientific assesment, so take it for what it's worth.

Oooh OOoh!

I've got one!

They shortened the roof rack for 99-01, it the parallel to side of vehicle rails don't go so far anymore.

Teron

If you ordered a late model Sport with the Freedom trim package they still had black bumpers and wheel mouldings and 16inch wheels. The NV 231 transfer case also recieved a oil seal on the rear output yoke.

The rear hatch was changed from fiberglass to steel at some point. The brakes are supose to be better in the 00-01 I heard. I think the master cylinder was changed, but, as you can tell, Im not sure.

Back