• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear oil leak

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
ok, i was wheelin' today and after i started gettin it for a little while i started to smell gear oil. i have a ax-15. i looked underneath it and the stinkiy oil was coming out at where it looks to be the marriage of the tranny and the 231j. is there a seal that is between there or is it not bolted up tight enough. i had the 231 out about a month ago and never seen if rtv sealant went between the 2. i don't think it does. it wants to spew fluid at that area after running high on the rpm's for a little while. this kinda sucks, anyone have this happen before. i guess thats why i call it a moneypitxj

Yes,there is a transmission output shaft seal.Im not sure where its located on yours,I think its behind the transfercase adapter.

If you pull the t-case the AX15 output shaft seal is right there and easy to change. Strange that all the sudden it would start leaking.
The fliud is likely coming out of the weep hole in the adaptor housing. It's on the passenger side, facing forward, near the bottom.

Jes

Weep hole.....

Jes,
What is this "weep hole" that you speak of??? I just mated a 231 to an AX5 on a 4WD conversion project, and when I went to fill the trans, I was losing gear oil out of a little hole in the trans flange next to one of the holes for one of the TC studs. It's about at the 5:30 position on the flange if you're looking at it from the rear.
Is that the weep hole? If so, why would it weep when the trans wasn't full? I don't recall a seal on the rear of the AX5 output shaft area, or anything on the input of the TC, but it didn't look like anything was missing either(?)
Jeff

The weep hole is there to alert you of a transmission output seal leak since NP231/242s don't have input seals. It's not an issue with AW4s since they use the same lubricant.
There are NP231s with short and long input shafts I believe and if you use a short input style behind a tranny that was designed for the long style the input may not seat properly in the output seal on the transmission and thus it will leak.
I had this problem whan I installed my AtlasII. I used a 1" spacer and the input on the Atlas didn't seat all the way on the output seal in the AX15. Since the Atlas has a input seal I merely plugged the weep hole with RTV and topped off my tranny.

Jes

The transfer case "does" have its own seal for the input shaft!

The why do manual transmission vehicles have a weep hole in the extension housing?

Jes

Edit... And duh, they do have input seals. :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I did some furthur research, and think the problem is that there is NO output seal on the AX5 that I put in. I bought it used, and had nothing to compare it to, and had no idea that there was suppoesed to be a seal there. Ghost sent me some pics and from what I can tell, there's something definately missing from the rear of the trans. I knew about the input shaft length on the TC, and measured to make sure I had the right one, but I guess if there's no seal for it to push up against, it ain't gonna seal....
I'm going to get a rear seal and pull the TC back off and install it. Problem is that there are 2 seals listed for 2 different output shaft diameters, and I don't know what size I need. Probably going to get both and see which one fits (they're only 7 or 8 bucks).
Jes- I did what you did initially and plugged the weep hole but I used JB weld, which worked well. Something told me that just wasn't right, though.
Thanks!
Jeff

Back