• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't get darn CCV elbow out!!

tom from boston

NAXJA Forum User
Any suggestions?

The front vent elbow was already broken (man, they get brittle after 164K miles...) and it continued to break as I took it out. But needelss to say, I got it all out. The rear (the CCV) on the other hand doesn't want to move. There must be a trick right? I already chipped of one edge of the lip, but justa little piece. I don't want to go any further because the elbow is still servicable right now.

So, what's the trick? Or do I litterally just break it apart?

Thanks,
Tom

Just replace all the pieces of the CCV system. On my 88 XJ the owner's manual says to replace those pieces every 50,000 miles so if they are all stock you are way overdue.

Also at the same time- 50,000 - they say to replace the cap, rotor, spark plug wires and gas tank cap. The manual says 30,000 change the spark plugs, think they'd have you doing all the "tune up" stuff at the same mileage interval.

Also with the stopped up little tube your throttle body is most likely slimed with stuff. Once you install the new CCV tubes - big and little - then have the throttle body cleaned. A proper cleaning has the throttle body removed, cleaned without damage to the sensors then resinstalled with a new gasket.

One more thing, if the top of your valve cover is covered with oil then pick up a new oil filler cap. This way once you clean up the valve cover you can make sure what ever hole on top of the valve cover was leaking is sealed.

ccv elbow...

I had a hell of a time removing mine too...but, a friendly mechanic just jammed a small flat tipped screwdriver under the grommet and removed it as one piece. It didn't just pop out, he had to pry a bit. The ccv valve/elbow fits snug with a lip inside the grommet and the same for the grommet inside the valve cover. Take it out as one piece!:D For ease of installation, put them back seperate, grommet first, then elbow. They should just slide into one another. (well it looks good on paper) If it doesn't go well, give a boost with the small screwdriver and a little leverage. HTH!:D

I did this job over the summer and it was a pain for sure. Just jam one side of a needlenose in there and pull that sucker off. I actually had more trouble getting it back in. I did the valve cover at the same time. Used breakcleaner and a steel bristle brush and scrubbed the inside and cleaned the snorkles.

Back