• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapped an AX-15 & a NP 231, now speedo wont work, please help

rav

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys;
I just swapped a AX-15 and a NP 231, from a 92 XJ for a peugeot on my 88 and the speedo wont move, the 96 one had an electonic one so is there a way i can make my speedo work, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks;
Ravi

Reinstall the gear. When Mike from Chile changed his speedo gear it took him only two tries to get the new one to work. When I backed off a tranny in an '88 to replace the flex plate it took my SIX tries before the damn speedo gear worked after I reassembled everything.

Yep, you're gonna have to pull the gear out and try again. When you pull the gear and it's housing out, you'll notice that the housing is a bit off-set and the gear is more to one side of the housing. The way to get the speedo gear to mesh with the gear on the output shaft is to insert the gear and housing into the hole and rotate it (clockwise usually) until it won't rotate anymore. Then, before tightening it down, have the t-case in 2wd and lift the rear wheels off the ground. Give the driveshaft a few spins, then try to rotate the speedo gear and housing again to ensure the gear teeth have meshed with the output shaft gear. This should get everything working again.

Oh yeah, be sure to disconnect the speedo cable from the gear and housing - insert the gear and housing first and get it to mesh, tighten it down, then reconnect your speedo cable. You won't be able to turn the gear and housing with the cable connected.

HTH! ;)

The speedo housing has sets of numbers around the outside of the housing if you correspond the number of the speedo pinion gear with the numbers on the housing and rotate the housing so the desired number set align with the index mark on the extension housing of the T-case. the index mark is straignt down. then you have the correct mesh every time. the number sets go something like 32-38 and 39-45 , so if you have a 33 tooth pinion then you fit the number between 32-38 index the housing so it's somewhere between, engauge the hold down fork into the notches and your done. no need to double check. As for the speedo housing any speedo housing will work you can use your mechanical metal housing just make sure you use the speedo gear it came with because it's much longer than the new style. Chris.

Thanks a lot guys for all the help.

:)

Ravi

Back