• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears

Okay, if this is a stupid question, please be gently on the flaming.

But, I am considering gearing up. I have 33" procomp xterrains. 4:11's sound good?

On another thread I noticed a debate about 35's on 3.55's ratio gears. Are the 3.55's stock? Or does it depend on some other variable I am not aware of such as year?

Thanks in advanced.

--Mingez

Because of your avatar, this is as nice as I can be.

SEARCH YOU STUPID NOOB. This topic is covered several times a week.

Sean

Uhhhh... thanks? Nice welcome. "Stupid Noob." You don't have to be such a freaking bastard about it. Sorry to offend you with my lack of experience oh mighty one ton xj. New to message boards AND XJ's.

I hope not everyone on this site is like this peice of crap? And One ton, you are a peice of crap.

Hope to meet you in person someday!

I am now walking to the piano....

...and playing the 'Jaws' theme.
Minges, try and relax...you won't feel a thing.
The guy with the glove is surprisingly gentle.

P.S. Search button.

Thanks. I'm relaxed, but just dissapointed that I get bashed right out of the gate.

What do you mean by "guy with the glove is suprisingly gentle?"

I just don't react well to people who flame others. It's not productive. But you know, if a topic has been repeated, then don't click on it. Sound pretty simple to me.

Thanks for the advice.

Don't take it personally, Mingez. Consider it a rite of passage, an initiation if you will. Besides, in time you'll notice some of these folks are as dry as a nun's crotch and the best way to stay interested is to spice things up a bit.
Terry

Take it easy on the new guy

2 posts and registered November 2003 -
I'll bet he has no idea what you guys are (albiet semi-gently) flaming him for.

Mingez -
Take a look at previous threads by using the "search" feature. You'll find enough discussion of gear ratio v. tire size to keep you reading for weeks (and proabably make you weak from confusion).
As for your questions:
As far as I know, the automatics all have 3.55 gears stock, and the manuals came with 3.07s (there may be exceptions and if so someone will chime in). The common parlance is to refer to numerically higher gears as "lower" and numercially lower gears as "higher" (remember it's referring to a ratio). So in your case, you are interested in gearing down to a lower gear ratio.
You'll find many different opinions about what gear ratio is best for a particular tire size. I think you'll find though that most people suggest either 4.56 or 4.88 gears for 33s. I run 33s and am presently regearing to 4.88. The type of wheeling you most often do, the extent to which you use your rig as a daily driver, the weight of added equipment and increased drag of tall lift and tires all weigh into the equation.
Finally, the avatar you chose is connected to a member who has been the subject of considerable controversy of late (note the attempt to be completely neutral here).
Do a search and read up. Then if you have more questions ask away.
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice "What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong)" Now that's what I was hoping to find here. You da man. Yeah, I don't understand the 'inside jokes."

Rockcrawler--I understand... but,
I just think it scares the inexperienced into not asking questions, and not learning, thus causing us to ask another NOOB question.

I'll put up with the rite of passage. Seems rather highschoolish to me. But I'll bite.

And I find your dry humor pretty funny Rockcrawler! (dry nun reference made me chuckle) But, I'm not going to just sit there and take it because I'm a "Stupid Noob". I wouldn't accept someone who did, would you?

So in the spirit of TEASING eachother- I can dish it as much as I can take it. Sounds like Mr. One ton is used to "taking it." (Where I won't say) Must've gotten beat up a lot as a kid.

I'm not fighting, I'm just trying to keep it interesting!!!;)

Let me try to get this thread back on topic.

3.55 is the stock gear ratio with the 4.0L engine and automatic transmission.

4.11 gears are a good choice with 31" tires. To be happy running 33s you should probably be running at least 4.56 gears, and many people will recommend 4.88s. 4.88s are available from aftermarket sources, but especially in the front Dana 30 axle the pinion gear gets pretty tiny, so this is not a universal recommendation.

BTW -- welcome to NAXJA. Sean was probably just having a bad day, and he was reacting to the fact that you asked a question that gets asked and answered probably two or three times every week.

Whoa! Wait a minute now.... Who's pitching and who's catching. Doesn't really matter, It's all the same game.:D

Okay, I appreciate the advice. I currently am getting pretty good results with the stock gears. But this is also my daily driver. 4.56 isn't too much?

Beezil, thanks for the avatar PM. I still don't understand, I just picked one, I don't even know what that avatar represents.

I mean, I even prefaced my post with a: "please be gentle on the flaming" statement.

I'll do more searching. Please be gentle, I'm sure I'll keep pissing everyone on the board off. Unintentionally of course.

Sorry that I stooped Sean. I take it back. I'll try and learn, but don't expect me not to fire back.

I'll walk it off.

Mingez said:

So in the spirit of TEASING eachother- I can dish it as much as I can take it. Sounds like Mr. One ton is used to "taking it." (Where I won't say) Must've gotten beat up a lot as a kid.

I'm not fighting, I'm just trying to keep it interesting!!!;)

:D I like this guy!
Welcome noob!
I'm running 4:10s and 31s. I could probably get away with 32s, but to do well on 33s I'd go to 4:56. (ONLY because I still have a Dana 30 in front; 4:88s are too weak there)

Hey mingez, I ran 4.56s with 31s and an automatic and I loved it. I could do any highway driving I wanted and gas mileage was great. I now want 5.13s with 35s so I am going to upgrade the front axle soon. Anyways My suggestion since you still run stock axles is to run 4.88s. You will absolutely love it, and if you don't you can always upgrade:D. Forgive one ton as he is very knowledgable and good to have around Naxja. He was a little harsh on you but he himself hasn't been a newbie for a long time and forgot what it is like to be one. Keep the searching going and read along and you will learn a lot=======Kyle

The rest of you guys have REALLY turned me around.
I'll think of it as a funny crotchity old man just mouthing off about the old days and how these young punks piss him off. As long as he emparts his knowledge, it's cool. I wish I had the same know how. But again, that's why I am here...to learn.

But as for the 4.88's don't you all think that'll be a little much for a daily driver? I just want optimum performance, but i also don't want to be whining when I go pick up a 6'er of New Castle at the Packie.;)

4.56 gears, 33" tires ==> 70 MPH = 2450 RPM

That's not exactly "screaming." These engines were orignially designed before the Big 3 used overdrive trannies, and were geared to run 3000 RPM at 72 MPH (24 MPH/1000 RPM).

Back