• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with headlamps

ThePhantum

NAXJA Forum User
OK, first the details: 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0, 70K Miles

I bought the Jeep new and when I got it, it had this feature that the headlights would automatically come on:
a) around dusk
B) if it was dark (duh)
C) if the windsheild wipers were turned on

For the last few months now, if the ignition is on the headlamps are on. Essentailly I now have daytime running lamps, but they are running at 100% (as opposed to the 30% that DRL would normally run).

BTW, the headlamp delay module is still working fine.

It doesn't really bother me too much but I would like to fix it if I can (before I start messing with adding more lights to it). I am assuming that there is a light sensor somewhere that senses when it is getting dark that tells a module (that goes where the DRL would be?) to turn the headlamps on, but the FSM makes no reference to this feature whatsoever.

If anyone knows where this sensor might be or has any other ideas as to what is causing the problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rock On!

Steve

?????

That does not sound like a factory option. It isn't listed in the 2000 XJ brochure. Heck, all that stuff isn't even available on the Grand Cherokee. Sounds like you have some aftermarket add-ons that went bad.

Well I ordered the Jeep from the factory in 1997 (I did not get it off the lot). I have been the only owner and it had this feature since I got it. I certainly did not install it. If it's aftermarket, then the dealer installed it without my knowledge and at their own expense (which I highly doubt).

Since nobody seems to know anything about this on 97+ Jeeps, aftermarket of otherwise, I'll just have to reverse engineer it before I do my lighting mods.

:mad:

Back