• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep will not start, help!

crewbus

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my cracked battery tray, when I hooked the battery back up my jeep will not start, It cranks great but no fire, I checked to see if I knocked something loose but everything looks ok, It was fine before I did this,, Help!!

Cranks but no fire...

I'd double check your connections, focusing on the ICM/Coil module, take that apart and put it back together maybe... Also yank out hte coil wire at the coil end, reconnect, then do the same on the distributor end...I'd say something's loose if it just started...

Oh, the wire that goes to the power block just in front of the battery...how's that look? (Since you had to disco it to do the job)

Jeep wont start

After you check all your connections, try this:
Your CPS (Crankcase Position Sensor) plugs in at the back of the valve cover. The CPS itself is located on the bellhousing. Unplug the connection and plug it back in. This is a common problem with the XJ's. The sensor is probably OK, but anytime you deal with the electrical system, it has a tendency to do this. Just follow the wires from the CPS on the bellhousing if you do not know where the connection is. Is is located at the rear of the valve cover on the drivers side, and very easy to get to. This happened to me just before I was suppose to leave for Moab 2002. I didn't get it resolved until it was too late. Hope this helps.........

Casper

Thank you! I was not sure where the CPS plugs in ( did you mean next to the valve cover or into the valve cover itself ) I unpluged everything I could find in the area and it started right up,,

thanks guys!

CPS

Great! Yes, the CPS plug connection is at the outside of the valve cover, at the driver's side by the firewall/valve cover. Glad to hear you solved the problem..

Casper

Back