• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which track bar? Heim or TRE?

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang!
Well, I am looking forward to my RE 4.5" Superflex Kit! Here is my dilemma:
The kit comes with the RE adjustable track bar, not the HD one:(
It has a heim joint for the frame mount.
I currently have Rusty's adjustable track bar, again not the HD one:(
It has a typical tie rod end for the mount.
I am wondering which one I should install, and which one I should ebay?
Thanks for your input XJers!
T

My opinion would be to leave in the Rusty's until it goes belly up or you replace it with a over the axle one.

I have the rusty's (non HD) and have had good luck with it (I have heard others with nothing but problems) so I would leave well alone but I would not e-bay the other until you are possitive that you do not want it.

I eventually would run a over the axle version so that I can move up my cross over steering on top of the knuckles.

Just my opinion.
Michael

Umm, have you ordered the kit already?? Regardless, talk to your vendor, they should be able to upgrade the kit to the HD trackbar. A good friend of mine is a dealer, and I've helped him negotiate deals in the past, so I know this is a normal occurence. You should also be able to get a credit for the RE discos 'cause they're worthless and put that towards the discos of your choice(typically JKS). HTH

Ary

Hey guys,
I haven't really had any problems with my Rusty's bar either, and it seems that the tie rod end might be a bit more sturdy, not to mention easy/cheap to replace.
Yes, I have already ordered the kit, and it is on it's way. I don't think I will go the heavy duty route.

Well, let me say that I have the heim bar, and I'm not entirely thrilled with it. The heim has loosened up in a little over a year to the point of needing replacement. I will be redoing my front suspension entirely in the coming year and plan to get rid of that thing asap. That is why I recommended the HD bar.

Ary

Ary'01XJ said:
Well, let me say that I have the heim bar, and I'm not entirely thrilled with it. The heim has loosened up in a little over a year to the point of needing replacement. I will be redoing my front suspension entirely in the coming year and plan to get rid of that thing asap. That is why I recommended the HD bar.

Ary

I would have suggested that you leave the Rusty's bar there for the time being, and replace its TRE end with his heavy duty bushing end, and corresponding frame mount when the TRE goes south. However, I do not suggest this solution, since I am not exactly sure if that bushing end is not the culprit for a slight axle vibration I have, even though everything is very very tight at that area.

If I find out that it is indeed the truck bar end causing my vibration, I would go the RE heavy-duty way.

Rgds

Thanks you guys. Just the kind of first-hand experience I was looking for! Well, I have been giving thought to Ari's suggestion of upgrading to the HD bar. I know I could upgrade my Rusty's to his HD setup for $89, I am guessing I could do the same with the RE bar, though I don't know how much that would cost yet.
I appreciate your input,
Thanks again,
T

Back