• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj cluster swap from lights to guages

It's pretty much "unplug the old, plug in the new" cluster. If you have oil pressure & water temp guages you'll need to change the sending units on the motor to match.

Speedo cable unclips from back of cluster, hard to do the first time but once you figure it out it'll come out easy. Clip loops around cable on back of speedo & needs to be pressed toward cluster a bit to release cable. You can get some slack for the cable by unclipping it from frame under driver side floorboard (near lca mount).

Your 89 can't use later cluster from 91 or so up (Electronic speedo) but you can pretty much swap any 90 or earlier cluster in.

:anon:

lunghd said:
Your 89 can't use later cluster from 91 or so up (Electronic speedo) but you can pretty much swap any 90 or earlier cluster in.

I used to think that, but it's not quite accurate. Jeep changed the type of connector for the speedo cable at the back of the speedometer. '87 is the swing year. I don't know if the early style ran '84 thru '87 and the later style started in '88, or if '87 was the first year of the second type. However, the earlier mechanical type will work in an '89 if you're willing to change the speedo cable to the earlier style.

speedo cable

wow, second post today about the same thing....Eagle is tellin' ya true about the cable end connector. See my reply to HossHoffer's post a little furthur down the page. I'm going thru the horror of it all right now...why did it have to be the '87 model year when they decided to make the switch?!?!
Best of luck,
Jeff

Back