• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Explorer Axle?

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at replacing my Dana 35 rear axle with a Ford 8.8. I will be regearing my XJ to 4.10/4.11 at the same time as the axle swap. What Ford Explorers will have an axle I can use?

From searching here it looks like 1995 was the earliest year I should be looking for as that is when they added disc brakes. Searching online for axles it looks like the 4.10 gear ratio (which is what I want to get if possible) was not available until 1996. What year did Ford stop using the 8.8" in the Explorer?

Also, when searching for Explorer rear axles some searches ask what engine the Explorer has (6 or 8 cyl), transmission (auto or not) and what suspension (adjustable? or not). Do any of these choices effect if the 8.8" was used or not?

Also, is there a combination of the above that insures trac-loc or not? I'm not willing to pay more for trac loc but if I can get it for the same cost as open then... :)

Thanks!
-Brian
99 XJ

PS. Please don't hijack this thread with a Dana-44 vs. Ford 8.8 arguement. For the purposes of this thread lets assume that the Ford 8.8 is the only option I am considering. :D

Nov. issue of 4Wheel&Off-Road.

Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road Magazine, Nov. 2003 has an article on "hidden beauties" axles. They mention the Ford 8.8 in there and tell you which Ford vehicles/years have them. It's a good article. I ltent the magazine to a friend, otherwise I'd just save you the time of looking.

8.8 swap

I did this swap last year. Best thing for the XJ and was relatively easy to do. I would recommend buying the M.O.R.E. bracket kit as they have everything in it you need. I didn't but ended up spending almost the same. You can buy them with 4.10 (4.11) gears. Danno

Correction on magazine article.

Sorry, it was Four Wheeler magazine, Dec. 03 (most recent) that had the article on axles.

Thanks anyway, I just thought someone here would know. I checked that article but it didn't have anything more about when the axle was used then I provided.

-Brian

Explorer Eddie Bauer's had 4.10's.

In a previous life, I had a '97 explorer. I'm pretty sure that the Eddie Bauer editions were the only ones that came with 4.10's from the factory. The others came with 3.73's, if that helps. A ford 8.8 w/factory 4.10's would be a nice setup.

get on the great explorations web site, they can help ya out.
I had a list of codes at one time, but don' t know where they are anymore.

Mine was from a 98. It is a 4.10 ratio. I have yet to put it in, but I am not going to buy the MORE kit since I will be locating the shocks differently. It is also way overpriced for what you get.

Andy

Originally Ðestdd bØ!andyr354
I have yet to put it€in, but I am not going to buy the MORE kit since I will be locating the shobks ôifferently. It is also way overpriced for what°pou get.
Andy

Yeah, I just built that one that I have`mn the Vor rale0rection.# It was mubh e0qier to use som¤"spring perches/stock mounts off an old axle.

Plus, I don't know what#MORE'sàqhock mounts look like, but I h`ue a feeling that they aren't setup to run very flat.

Back