• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nut rails for gas tank skid plates

Garthbmn7

NAXJA Member #524
Going to take my hitch off and put a gas tank skid plate on. Been spraying the bolts every day with PB so good to go there and am going to rent air tools. Question is on the one side the bolts stick down and I can see the threads. On the other side I can only see the head of the bolts, they stick up into the frame rail. This normal? Do I need to call the jeep dealer and order a new nut rail? Hitch was already on the jeep so not sure what they did to attach it.
Thanks all

The drivers side doesnt come std w/ a nut plate.Whenever the hitch was installed they usually fish carraige bolts down thru the chassis!

When I put my hitch on I just used a telescoping magnetic thing to get nuts in there. I had to remove the rear bumper and it was still a nightmare. If you don't have one for each side, it would be worth the money.

Thanks guys

Sounds like either way I would still need to take off the bumper. Hoping to get around that pos. Just got a skid row tank plate and need it before saturday. Also have to figure out how to make hitch wider. Cut and weld I guess. So the wifey doesnt get upset when we can't tow the trailer we bought last night! Ahh the joys of Just Empty Every Pockets!

Nut Rails

I installed my aftermarket hitch without nut rails. I then bought a mopar skid and it came with the rails. Trust me, use the rails. Mopar has a really good system that spreads the load over a very long distance. Not only is it strong, it is much easier to install with the nut rails.

I was just going to build my own nut rails from some flat iron. Just mark the holes where they need to be and weld the nuts to it. Wouldn't that work??

andyr354 said:
I was just going to build my own nut rails from some flat iron. Just mark the holes where they need to be and weld the nuts to it. Wouldn't that work??

No.

It needs a couple of bends and offsets in two axes. (I think "axes" is the plura; os "axis")

not the best picture, but here's a pic of the nutstrips:

DSC00008.JPG

Hey IntrepidXJ, where did you get those/ how much? I picked up a Mopar gas tank at the local junk yard and I can't mount it without them. Do you have part #'s?? NAXJA

Nut Rails:
52001174 (Passenger side)
52001175 (Driver side)

You can use those part #'s and search for them on www.jeepparts.cc also and usually get it cheaper and order right online.

Back