• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

center diff on the NP242

Çrestfa||en

NAXJA Forum User
hey I wanted to know if the center diff on the NP242 is one of those ones that gets worn down easily. I've been having trouble getting out of 4wd and been running it in fulltime on the street now.

It's a mechanical differential, not clutches or a viscous drive. You can leave it in full-time for the rest of your life. Just keep the fluid level topped off.

check your tire pressures. if they aren't IDENTICAL it'll have trouble getting out of 4wd.

also, any kind of tire mismatch, or uneven wear and it'll bind.

finding a stone/gravel lot to kinda turn back and forth in usually helps.

I've found mine to shift the easiest if you're rolling forward slowly, pop it into neutral slam the TC lever forward as hard/fast as you can and then pop it back in drive.

goosing the throttle while in 1-2 also helps sometimes.

I rebuilt my 242 about 6K miles ago, and it didn't help it shift any easier. (basically, it stopped leaking, but I wasted $$$)

While we're on the subject, can the guts be swapped between the NP231 and NP242? I'd like to get the 4FT, but I don't have a good deal of dosh about, and it would be far cheaper to get a grenaded 242 than a working version, and the cases look the same from what I've seen so far...

Actually, I'd modify to make AWD/4PT/4LO, since I don't trust these vidiots to run my XJ even on a dyno! I'm working up the AWD/4PT mod to apply to my wife's 89 Limited as well (I don't trust them to drive hers, either - and neither does she!)

5-90

5-90 said:
While we're on the subject, can the guts be swapped between the NP231 and NP242? I'd like to get the 4FT, but I don't have a good deal of dosh about, and it would be far cheaper to get a grenaded 242 than a working version, and the cases look the same from what I've seen so far...

Actually, I'd modify to make AWD/4PT/4LO, since I don't trust these vidiots to run my XJ even on a dyno! I'm working up the AWD/4PT mod to apply to my wife's 89 Limited as well (I don't trust them to drive hers, either - and neither does she!)

5-90

Just remove the front drive shaft when you take it in for the emissions test. :D

Eagle - you've got it backwards. If I make them AWD, they CAN'T put it on the dyno, smog will only cost me $50 instead of $100, and I don't have to let them drive it! Besides, here in the Land of the Lost we need all the advantages we can get in what passes for foul weather out here...

5-90

Back