• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger side drop front axles

MUDTRUK

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running a passenger side drop front axle on their XJ? Preferably one that can be found at the local pnp? What roadblocks did you run into? I wanna swap in a D300 and don't want to have to flip it, would rather just swap to a pass. drop D60. Any thoughts??? Judd

there is a guy on JU doing that mod with a waggy pass drop 44 all you need is a clocking ring

there seems to be a greater abundance of good, cheap PS axles (with the exception of HP 44s and 60s). You got Toyota axles, Chevy 44s and 60s, -79 Waggys...

Some things that I can see being a problem is that:

the tranny tunnel is shaped for a DS t-case, you will likely have to cut and make a new bulge in the tunnel, or maybe just beat the crap out of it with a big hammer.

exhaust, the pipe goes over there in the stock configuration, shouldnt' be too hard to reroute it

starter, the starter motor may interfere with the driveshaft, don't know for sure.

There's a guy named Dave here in NC that's going that route if I recall correctly. Can't recall his screen name here...Maybe 35xj? Dave has a sweet rig, and is a great guy. He'll be competing in EROCC next season IIRC.
I'm putting the finishing touches on my flipped 300 this week...;)

so it seems that it is possible. anyone got any pics???

Bringing this back from the dead, anyone else got any pics or experiences to share? Considering having my HP D44 retubed and setup for pass. side drop and running leafs. Any ideas??? thanks, Judd

MUDTRUK said:
Bringing this back from the dead, anyone else got any pics or experiences to share? Considering having my HP D44 retubed and setup for pass. side drop and running leafs. Any ideas??? thanks, Judd

Why?

vintagespeed said:

Good question. I guess I'm not totally thrilled with the performance of the radius arm setup. I know, it's not a 4 link. I guess I just really like the simplicity of a leaf spring suspension. At the same time I'm not sure if I wanna throw more money into a d44. But at the same time not sure if my rig and wheeling conditions (sand, lotsa mud, and trails, no rock) warrent a d60. Also with the a pass drop axle I will have no need to flip my d300. Just an idea, I have a problem with getting shit finished just to tear it apart and do it all over another way. thanks, judd :confused1

What's the ratio of the D300? Is it significantly more than the NP231? I know it's gear driven, not chain, but that's not the only reason to change it out. (vs. SYE, HD output & etc?)

Which is gonna cost more, retubing the HPD44 or flipping the 300? Are you breaking the front 44 now, to warrant the 60 upgrade? You know how much 60s are right (at least out here)?

I've spent the better part of this year (and the better part of $6k) building my Junk, and am debating pulling it apart to build it again with different axles & front suspension layout. Sucks cause I dont want to miss out on more wheeling but I'd like to be more confidence in my rig. So I know where you're coming from.

I'm also maybe considering a pass. side drop but there's so much in the way over there, starter, floor panel, exhaust. It's alot more work to do.

Yep, i didn't even think about a passenger side drop. Too much to work around. I decided to go drivers side drop, relocated the pumpkin andgot a reasonable low gearing that gets the stress out of the tranny and t-case and puts it where it belongs - in the axles which are strong enough to withstand it.

I'm running stock AW-4 and 242 with D60/70 combo with 5.86 gearing and soon 39.5 Boggers.

vintagespeed said:
What's the ratio of the D300? Is it significantly more than the NP231? I know it's gear driven, not chain, but that's not the only reason to change it out. (vs. SYE, HD output & etc?)

Which is gonna cost more, retubing the HPD44 or flipping the 300? Are you breaking the front 44 now, to warrant the 60 upgrade? You know how much 60s are right (at least out here)?

I've spent the better part of this year (and the better part of $6k) building my Junk, and am debating pulling it apart to build it again with different axles & front suspension layout. Sucks cause I dont want to miss out on more wheeling but I'd like to be more confidence in my rig. So I know where you're coming from.

I'm also maybe considering a pass. side drop but there's so much in the way over there, starter, floor panel, exhaust. It's alot more work to do.

The ratio of the d300 is 2.62 no lower than the 231. I switching to the d300 because of the steel case, shorter overall length, gear driven instead of chain, and I love the idea of having twin sticks. My current 231 is getting pretty sloppy, so instead of rebuilding I have decided to get a d300. I picked my d300 up for 225 and it already had the clocking ring which costs 130 by itself. Have yet to blow up the front end, probably really don't need the d60. Come to think of it I'm probably gonna either have the d44 retubed for drivers drop and run leafs on the front and flip the d300 or keep my current radius arm setup and flip the d300.

Anyone have any idea of how much I'm looking at to have the axle retubed? How about what companies do this service? Where can you buy the tube to do it yourself? thanks, Judd :compwork:

35xj is dave, andy has finished the axle, dave should be fitting it in now.

2offroad said:
35xj is dave, andy has finished the axle, dave should be fitting it in now.

Any idea of how to contact 35xj or andy? I looked in the users list but couldn't find either? Any help? thanks guys, so I'm guessing it is possible, anyone have any idea of what is involved to make it fit? What has to be moved, cleareanced or removed??????? :confused1

Anyone know how to get ahold of 35XJ or Dave? thanks, Judd

Back