• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater no workie

TsfoTo

NAXJA Forum User
hey guyz , to start with i have a 89 xj pioneer , I-6 auto 4x4.. i went to use my heater the other day and no heat... it blows air but not hot or even warm for that matter.. the a/c works fine , but thats all.. also i had a mild overheating problem when climbing a long grade, any relation? anything you could tell me is appriciated... thanks in advance art-

There is a heater control valve that needs to open to direct hot water into the heater core from the heater hoses. It's located in the engine compartment, and is vacuum operated. I am betting that's not opening, and hence, you are not getting hot water into the heater core.

It's also possible that the overheating episode is connected. The heater will sometimes go cold when there's insufficient coolant. Make sure that you have enough coolant in the system, and that it is properly bled of air.

I've had to flush the heater core every year or two to keep the warm air flowing on my '89. The inlet and outlet hoses are right beneath your coolant bottle on the firewall. I recommend Craig Houghtaling's method of hooking up two short pieces of hose and flushing it both directions with the garden hose. Here's his write-up:
Heater Core Flushing Made E-Z

Try Jim's advice

They do plug up. I fiddled with mine for months. Until I flushed all the crap out of the core it wouldn't heat for nothin'. It's a quick and easy fix.

TsfoTo said:
hey guyz , to start with i have a 89 xj pioneer , I-6 auto 4x4.. i went to use my heater the other day and no heat... it blows air but not hot or even warm for that matter.. the a/c works fine , but thats all.. also i had a mild overheating problem when climbing a long grade, any relation? anything you could tell me is appriciated... thanks in advance art-

Have you checked to see what the engine temp is? If your thermostat possibly went wacky during your overheat issue, it might have stuck or broke. If you don't have a temp gauge then check the radiator hose or touch the motor when it's supposedly warm. It should be 195deg. or so, hot to touch:) Good Luck

FUNKYTEE5

Back