• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 6130 lift questions for my 1993 XJ

krh9848

NAXJA Member #734
I have a 1993 XJ Country with the 8.25" Differential, Automatic Transmission and 231 Transfer Case. I am new to process of lifting a cherokee and have just ordered the RE-6130 4.5" lift. My questions are as follows. I substituted the 3.5" Rear Spring Pack for the 4.5" Spring Pack in my order. I will order the AA SYE & CV Driveshaft from TW as soon as I install the lift. I intend to use my factory shackles until I get the new SYE/Driveshaft. Once this comes in I want to replace the factory shackles with the 1.25" ones supplied in the RE kit and add a 1" spacer to the front coils to increase my lift to 5.5" assuming I have calculated the lift correctly. I plan to run 33X10.50 tires on stock rims. Will there be a problem with the Control arms in the 6130 kit (standard CA's) running an additional inch higher or will I need the drop brackets? I also upgraded to the HD Track Bar & Bracket. Will this size tire pose a problem with these lift heights? Thanks for the help!

Aren't you going to be an inch low in the rear w/ that setup? I just ordered the 4.5 kit as well...also w/ 3.5" rears. I understand they flex better w/ the longer shackles and 3.5 pack than the 4.5" pack.
As for the ca's, I am sure others on this board have more knowledge than me, but I would think you could go with adjustable ca's and no drop brackets.
Good luck, I think these are going to be great kits!

Rear Spring pack Height

I think that the 4.5" spring pack will net the same or slightly higher height using stock shackles as the 3.5" spring pack with 1.25" shackles. I think the 1.25" shackles only provide about 3/4" lift. At least this is the information I have been getting from the place I ordered it. Can I get by for a while using the UCA's supplied in the RE6130 kit even with the addition of a 1" spacer? I really want to eventually get the lift to to the 6" range but I cant afford upgrading the UCA's to adjustable along with the addition of the drop brackets now. Best I can do now is use the 4.5" kit with an additional 1 inch increase. Just not sure I can get by with the extra inch with the control arms setup supplied in the re6130 kit.

Is there anyone out there that has run in to this type of setup before?
Thanks

Ive run both set-ups,Trekker is right about the flex.You will likely need adjustable uppers after 5"!

Flex

But once I install the 1.25" shackles on the rear won't the flex be the same as the 5.5" RE lift setup in the rear? As soon as the TW CV Driveshaft and SYE arrives (hopefully in a few weeks will place order) I will add the 1 inch spacer and the 1.25" shackles. My goal is to get the same setup as the 5.5 kit just don't have the funds to get the adjustable UCA and drop Brackets yet. I thought that I could get by with this setup temporarily. I guess what I trying to find out is will the added 1 inch work for a few months or so without breaking something until the funds allow drop brackets and adj. UCA.

I am also planning on using 33X10.50 tires while the still at 4.5" until the extra inch is added. Will these work without rubbing as long as I keep it mild on the trail?

See my insert,the rear still doesnt flex as well as my old kit!Also my buddy just got done adding drop brackets to my old lift(5-5.5"),he had been complaining about everything including DW.He says its awsome now and wondered how he hadnt noticed how bad it had gotten till now!

Like I said I am new to this. But I really appreciate all the info. I quess what your saying is that the 4.5 kit has better flex than the 5.5 kit when comparing the two? I just thought that replacing the 3.5" for the 4.5" springs would give the same flex as the 5.5 kit would.

Good time for some Currie guys to chime in!

Your overlooking two things!The 5.5 Extreme kit comes with the ZJ front springs(which are stiffer thus transfering more load to the rear).Getting the front of an XJ to flex is easy,getting the rear to work can be a challenge.
This is something Im interested in to get better rear flex:
Btw:my factory rear springs were marked 140lbs..
Currie springs

Last edited:
That explains it! I did not think about the front springs transferring load to the rear springs. So I quess this means that I need to replace the front springs with ZJ springs, which are stiffer as well as higher, when I am ready to increase the height. Are the ZJ Coils higher in lift than the 4.5" Coils with a 1" spacer added? Can I still get by with the 4.5 kit plus and additional 1" running 33X10.50 on stock rims until I can afford to upgrade to true 5.5 parts? I realize now, thanks to your help, that I will have less flex in the rear with the options I have chosen on the 4.5 kit. Hopefully I can change that later when I upgrade.

Thanks

So I guess what I need to know is can I still get by with the 4.5 kit plus and additional 1" of lift for a total of 5.5" running 33X10.50 on stock rims until I can afford to upgrade to the ZJ coils up front as well as the adjustable CA's and drop brackets??

What kind of problems might this setup cause?

Anyone out there got any more suggestions or thoughts about this?

OK Let's try this again. I have ordered the RE -6130 kit but I exchanged the 3.5" spring pack for the 4.5" spring pack. I intend to run the 4.5 pack with stock shackles (now I know, thanks to you guys, that I will have less rear flex than the 3.5 pack as a result). I will run this setup until I can afford to upgrade to the RE 5.5 extreme parts. (this is one of the reasons for getting the 4.5" spring pack). So I want to run 33X10.50 BFG AT's and was wondering if I can get by with this size until I upgrade the lift? I am wondering if I should go ahead and install the TC drop kit as soon as I install the lift or should I try to run the XJ without and see if it is needed? I plan to order the TW Driveshaft and AA SYE in a few weeks. Once the SYE/driveshaft is installed I think it is common practice to remove the TC drop kit. I was just wondering if it's worth a shot at not installing it to begin with? Sorry for my ignorance and the long post!

Back