• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What 8.8 Axle to use ???

Handwash

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all ... I'm building up a 1988 MJ .. I'm doing a 4.5 front lift with a spring over in the rear ( I have a D35 in there now ) .. regearing to 4:10's ( have a pro doing the work ) I dont rear gear or weld . will be running 33's . The Question I have is what axle to use ..

#1) 2001 8.8 out of a explorer 4:10's NO limited slip , 2,000 miles .. .cost $ 750.00

# 2) 1999 8.8 explorer 4:10's Limited slip 41,000 miles .. cost $ 450.00.

the business I work for is paying the bill ( will be Line-X demo truck when done.) I'm looking at putting in a locker at a later date (ABR)... Is the Ford LS any good?? will it cause me any problems in the furture?? thank you Kevin ( soon to be NAXJA member)

I would go with the '99 and see it they will let you use the extra money that would have been for the '01 for a locker. just my opinion.
DIG IT!

I would go with option :
# 2) 1999 8.8 explorer 4:10's Limited slip 41,000 miles .. cost $ 450.00-And always before any purchase,carefully inspect and check-out the inside of the Ford 8.8 axle for broken/missing clutch plates-Look for metal pieces/shaveings on the magnetic pick-up filler plug-Sometimes,but not always, there are unscrupulous and seedy vendors out there who mistake your good humor for weakness(..don't ask me how I know)

I would go with the '99, but like Bill said, inspect it. Just out of curiosity, where do you live that you would pay $750 for an 8.8? Although mine was open with 3.73's, I got it for $300.

There is also a guy on Ebay selling brand new, disc brake to disc brake, never used Ford 8.8's for $425. They are open axles, and do have 3.55 in them; but for that price, they are a pretty good deal as far as being new....

Ebay Axles

Ivan

Thank you for your replys.. I live in Grand Rapids MI ... I thought the price was a little high for the NON LS axle so I looked around and found the $450.00 .. The guy installing it for me I think had to much into it and was try to get his $$ back from me..:) but he's very cool and a VERY good 4X4 builder ( does pro(semi) rock crawling) . I have found alot of 8.8 for less but not in good shape and not with 4:10's .. Is this LS any good in the ford?? will it "lock up" ok for a LS ?? are there any strength issue I need to look at ?? do I need to add that LS additive to the gear oil .?? man I have alot of ?? this site has some very info ..

not sure there is .. its just what I happen to find .. I wanted something was kinda low miles .. not one with 150,000 on it . and the 4:10 gearing was a must ..

Not sure what year Scotty but I thought certain year Exploders had 28 spline and the newer ones had 31 spline. You definitely want the 31. Then you have axles that are comparable to the 9". Only thing is you still don't have the non c clip axles and the easy of set up on the gears of the 9". Installing gears on a 9" is a sweet deal. For more reasons than just being able to do them on the bench.

I can sell you a 29 spline 8.25 Trak Lok cheap, then you just need axles ;) .

B-loose

8.8 axle

Handwash,
I just bought a 1998 8.8 Exploder axle with 14Kmiles, 4.10's, rear discs, and TracLok for $350 in Harrison, MI (Cooks Auto Salvage). Go to www.auto-part.com and look for what you want in any state. They ranged from $1000 :eek: down to $300ish.
Good luck,
BLUTO :)

Back