• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If it's not one.......it's another

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got the jeep back running last week, but with some bad vibrations and a squel in one of the pulleys (75% sure its the alternator). After getting a full alignment and adjusting my TPS, I got most of the vibes out. It now only accurs at about 35-45 in the rear end. Well, now this morning on my way to school, I think the bearing went out in the pully that is squeeling. It starting screeching an unbearable sound, so i looked at my guages and noticed my volts were almost red-lined. Right now it is sitting in grocery store parking lot until this afternoon. It is hard to start and when it does fire up, the screeching is still there along with the low volts. How hard is this going to be to fix? Im just about fed up..... Ive shelled out a little over $700 in 2 months and im not much ahead of where I was. Will I be able to at least drive it home to where I can do the work needed (about 5 minute drive) i its current state? Im lost, tired, and stressed....

basic troubleshooting....
1. is the belt proper tension?? actually sounds like a loose belt to me.... my belt is a tad lose and has a lil oil on it from a front oil leak,.. squeels a chirp when i start it and with the a/c(defroster in this case) on it squeels until the belt is warm...
2. remove the belt and check each pulley with your hands... if theres even a little bearing wear you should feel it...
if it was just worked on it could very well be as simple as the belt not being tightened properly... belt could be "glazed" from too much slipping and now won't grip the pulley.. or too much tension and it over-loaded a weak bearing...
not sure about the "background " on your vibes so i cant help much there....
mike

Can things get any worse?????

As I was trying to type a response for this AND type a paper that was due in 15 minutes, the damn computer I was on crashes!!!!
So now on top of my car not quite running, I am now late on a paper because I have to retype it.....ANYWAYS

Thanks for the info on the pulleys , As soon as I figure out how to get it home im gonna check em. (I dont wanna pay $45 bucks to get it towed again).

Work done at shop: new battery, cables/clamps.
4 wheel aligment done yesterday
New CPS, New TPS(adjusted, helped some vibe problems, helped power lack problem)

When the pulley noise turned into a full on screech, I could hear it over my subs (if that gives you idea on how loud it is)
Need any more info on how to solve this just ask.....

hey honkey.......

Don't give up just yet! some times when we get cars owned by others they don't do the things we would to keep them in proper running order. Look at it this way, once you get these issues resolved they "usually" stay away for a while! As for the squel check the tension. If you suspect the alt, go to advanced they will test it free! As for the squel though two friend with 91 XJ's here lokally had the idler pully go out within a mounth of each other. One of them bought a new pully the other bought a new bearing for his pully! So check the idlers too. I think that bearing is like $6! The whole pully if you can find it is like $30! Keep asking here these guys really know there stuff! Oh, does the alt have oil and dirt in it? I know what the mud is like over there :) have you been muddin lately? They will interfear with the operation of the alt too! Oh yea, as for the paper, SAVE OFTEN! I use to save every couple of lines!

Dude...that's some bad luck. :(

But the computer crash part was funny, probably not for you, but someday you'll look back and... :)

Back