• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Rear End Install

XJOFFROAD

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry guys but Im new at this. I have a 90 XJ, just got a RE 5.5 kit for it. I want to run 35 SSR's under it so I need to get a heavier duty rear end first. Im looking into the 8.8 because its cheap but I have NO welding or fabing skills.

Is it easy to do this ??

What do I need to do for this to work ??

How would you go about it ??

Maybe I should find a D44 that would bolt right on ??

Please help me out here Im so lost !! :dunno:

Mountain Off-Road Enterprises sells everything you need. Just find someone to weld the parts on and you are in business.

B~

if you cant do everything yourself than i recomend that you just get a 44 and bolt it in. i did the 8.8 and it was a lot of work. jack

XJOFFROAD said:
Maybe I should find a D44 that would bolt right on ??

At first I would look for a d44 from an XJ. You could try this link and call around in the yellow pages. If you can't find one then go to a 8.8, but you never know you may have a d44 close by and it is going to be easier. On top of that it is the correct width.

http://car-part.com/

Curt

I looked in to getting a D44 before I did my 8.8 swap. The D44s are becoming more and more rare, as they were only used in 87-89 XJs with the heavy duty towing option. One D44 I found was so rusted that it was really just a housing, everything else had to be replaced. A D44 will run $450 where a 8.8 can be found for $350. The 8.8 has discs. The mileage on the D44 is going to be much higher than the 8.8 because it's 10 years older. The 8.8 I got was out of a 98.

So do what you will, but I would highly recommend the 8.8 over the Dana 44.

B~

..if you have'nt already committed to either the D44 or Ford 8.8 I would cordially advise you to first check the NAXJA archives as the "D44 or Ford 8.8 axle" question comes up frequently.(..maybe hourly..? )-Again the earlier posts suggested your local area spring shops for new U-bolts and leaf-spring perches-I would also add if you have a local trade-school/community college/night school find some way to take a few "brush-up" welding lessons MIG-ARC, Gas,. to save yourself some hard-earned "moolah"-For example look around here at NAXJA and online for an write-up called "Bullet-Proof-Perches" and an excellent cost-saveing article by the generous Alyn Loya, aka MaXJohnson called "Easy Shock Mounts"-Also here is some relevant information that might be helpful with the choice and selection of the 95-03 Ford 8.8:
8.8 axle with DISC-BRAKES + 31-SPLINE AXLES ! should measure 64" WMS to WMS and difference is only 3/4" .-stock XJ axle length is 59" You might want 1-1/4" hub centric wheel spacers
Other Parts Needed
Brake pads (P/N 6674, AutoZone) =$39.99
Calipers (P/N's C576 &C577, AutoZone)
Guide pins (2 - H15068, AutoZone)
Banjo bolts (Ford P/N 385116-S2)
Hoses (2 - NAPA P/N 380376 & 380528 )=$51.79
E-brake cables (Mopar P/N's 52008904 & 05)
"T" Hose (P/N 380889, NAPA)
2 - Hard Brake Lines(NAPA P/N 813-1208 & 813-1204 )=$6.73
Yoke Adapter (Spicer P/N 2-2-1379, NAPA)
Yoke bolts (Ford P/N N800594-S100)
..whatever your decision on the ,D44 or 1995-03 Ford 8.8 rear axle-Good luck
-BILLXJ

bgolum said:
A D44 will run $450 where a 8.8 can be found for $350. The 8.8 has discs. The mileage on the D44 is going to be much higher than the 8.8 because it's 10 years older.

So do what you will, but I would highly recommend the 8.8 over the Dana 44.

B~

I just got a d44 from the web site I provided for $200. It need some break work, but a 8.8 usually would as well. Rotors and disc wear out fast. Keep in mind, the 8.8 is narrower than a d44 and it requires fabrication. If you are gun ho on disc you can add them to the 44 for pretty cheap from a ZJ donor. I am not going to do the debate thing on this but just want to point out a couple of important facts. I went with the 44 because I want a direct bolt on and want it to be the correct width. The 8.8 is close, but inches add up when you are going higher and I don't want my rear to be narrower than my front. I need all the width I can get at over 5" of lift.

JMHO,
Curt

Back