• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gorman/Frazier park this weekend 11/07/03

Plan on seeing you there

As it says above, plan on seeing you there. Is do do planning on going?

Sunday the 9th.

Looks like a typo, but it is on the 9th.

just be sure its open... everytime i try to go we get there and its closed

Closed?

It usually does not close until after 10 and then mostly on Sundays. Are you planning on meeting us.

i've not been through there from the Gorman (Hungry Valley?) side- that was always the exit. Directions I found are:

The park is located in Gorman, 60 miles north of Los Angeles and 55 miles south of Bakersfield.
Traveling North on Interstate 5, exit at the Gorman off-ramp. Turn left at the stop sign onto Gorman Post Road, traveling under the freeway. Make a right onto Peace Valley Road. The entrance to the park is one mile north on Peace Valley Road, to the left.

Is that the right place? anywhere in particular to meet, or just start yelling into the CB when I get close? :D (if so, what channel? ;) )

thanks- i'm looking forward to it!

I noticed your in Redondo Beach, I work in Redondo Beach off of Inglewood Ave, & Manhattan Beach Blvd. Just before Northrop (Use to be TRW). If you want we can meet up and go together.

If not exit on Smokey Bear Rd from 5 North, go under the fwy and the dirt rd as you cross the road is the back way in. Pay at the Ranger station and follow the road right to the OHV course.

Scott S.

Channel 4

I will be on Channel 4 and hope to be there by 9am. What time are you all planning on arriving?

id love to meet you there but it work:( ... they do close after 10 but you can still get in one time it was closed because of the fire and the last 2 times we went the rangers told us they were closed

water hole is FULL

I do not plan on going through though as it is DEEP and I do not have a snorkel or good waterproofing yet. Guy went through Saturday with 44's and they just about dissapeared. Drop in really steep as well.

yea that water hole has some very large ruts in it ive seen 44s get stuck a few times

Gorman Run

Well there were 5 vehicles in attendance, Me - XJ, Brain T. - XJ, Doug - XJ, Gilbert - EB, and Russ - CJ. We arrived up there approx. 9:00 am and went to play around at the obstacle course for a while. There was a little rain but justenought to keep the duct down. We disconnected swaybars but left tire pressure alone as we were not getting into anyhting too difficult. We all played around on the little pyramid and I made it to the top only to have a tire rub the flair and pop it out of the bracket holder. My wife took her first run in the XJ while I spotted her up the concrete staircase, next to the big boys rocks. She was nervous at first being she never drove offroad but was smiling ear to ear half way up.

After playing around a while we went down into the river bottom so I could let my girls drive for the first time. Whew was that fun!! :) They were smiling ear to ear and did not want to give the wheel back to dad.

We found a little ledge in the river bottom that none of us were able to conquer on our last trip there, at which time I was stock, and Gilbert had a bone to pick with it since it would not let his Dodge up it on the last trip. :mad: Well a little trying here and tryin there and the ledge once again one by taking out the u-joint on his front D44. I then took a shot at it in the XJ and hit it at an angle then turned into it and gunned it, Woo Hoo, we were on top in no time. Then MT's were throwing some serious sand though. A couple more attempts by Brian and it was determined a locker was needed as well as momentum.

We continued on to a little rut we found up there on a previous run and it REALLY pitches you sideways. We were just going to see if it was still there, but I had to try it since I did it in my '90. I crawled into it and the front drivers tire shot for the sky while the rear was sinking to China. Tried a little more but did not make it, just got rewarded with a pressure dent on the rear 1/4 panel, a popped flair, and some new scratches. Next time!! I am told the tire was a good 2-3 feet off the ground.

We left HV and went to run the Salt Creek trial in Fraizer. Nothing more than a forest road with 1 good rutted, muddy slide and a few rock steps. We made it up the slide alot easier than we thought we would but I somehow got careless and hit the Tomken rail pretty damn hard on a rock ledge. Knocked some powder coating off but they held up well enough to split a chunk of rock.

We left there and on our way out went through HV again to see what was happening at the water hole. On our way there we saw a Jeep on a wrecker gettin ready to be hauled out. This was on the large wall like hill that is fenced off with 2 routes up/down it. Mostly motorcycles us it. From what we gathered at the water hole, the people were going up it and almost to the top when the front of the Jeep started coming around, Jeep rolled to the bottom, the two did NOT have seat belts on and were ejected. Neither was crushed but both were airlifted out. Mind you this is second hand info and I hope they are OK.

All in all a great day and look forward to another run in a few weeks, hopefully with snow!!

Back