• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radius arm vs. 3-link front

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
I'm acquiring parts now for the front rebuild, The lowers are going to be coming from the front of the crossmember tucked up, and bent for clearance if the undercarriage permits it.

I'm debating on doing a radius arm set-up with one torque arm on the right, or going for one frame mounted upper (not a wishbone 3-link. 3 attachments at the frame end, 3 at axle, not including trac bar). The 3-link will take a tiny bit more work, but I feel geometry could be set up better for caster change and pinion angle. What do you guys think? Thanks _nicko_

I think caster and pinion angle change should have absolutely nothing to do with your choice of suspension design.

It is just not a concern when dealing with the comparitavely huge amount of travel of a Jeep front axle.

This isn't Formula 1 racing.

CRASH

Dear Gawd. Here we go with the NASCAR stuff.

CRASH

NASCAR is :rainbow:
9120_p147454.gif

Last edited:
I think we just set a record for a thread hijack.

CRASH

We run a three link like the one you are talking about on one of our buggies. I also have the radius arm style on my XJ. They both seem to work about the same in real trail situations. I would do wich ever is easier for you to build.

Thanks, radius arm would be much easier to do.

No nascar talk in my thread, I forbid it. I will report every post from here on with anything about it. Hijack it with something else. :) _nicko_

P.S. Thanks for the door guards Chris :)...hope your daughter feels better.

Scott Mac. said:
You're showing your age again Allen.

BTW, which Allison is that. It's a bit before my time.:D
I believe that's Mark Donahue (one of the great ones in any form of motorsports) on the left with Roger Penske on the Right.

I am growing old full speed ahead, fearless and certain of the outcome. :angel:

As of now, without having looked at my XJ for a few weeks. I am giving the upper arm attached to the frame a shot. I will be able to dial in anti-dive and junk like that, which I think does matter in off roading and formula one. I'd rather have adjustabilty of the way it works, rather than doing it and it's done.

Back