• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace syncros on AX-15. Has anyone done that before?

nickfaria

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I've been experiencing some serious shifting problems (scratching)in my 5spd 93 XJ. I believe my Syncros are gone and it's time to replace it!
Has anyone done the job before?
Any ideas of how much time and money I should spare to get the job done?
Where can I get the parts for a fair price?

Thank you.
Nick

Get the AX-15 manual......

I'm working on a AX-5 right now. The parts can be found at Quadratech and 4 Wheel Drive Hardware. Others too but that is where I have looked. I have not done it yet but have the tranny apart in my shop. It is on my to do list. Have you ever had a tranny apart or done any rebuilds on them b4?

Have I done that b4!

No, I've never had a tranny open before, but I heard from a mechanic that isn't very complicated, but lots of hard work.
I did do a CV conversion on my transfercase (231) and installed lockers before and lift kits, so I have a little idea about the mechanics and I also have a factory service manual for some guidance. Nonetheless I believe it will be very challenging, lots of planning will be necessary and lots of advice from you and others about difculties to look for on the way!

By the way my XJ is a 93 4.0 w/ 4.5" and AX-15 w/ 178K.

Thanks.
Nick.

Well actually.....

This is my first one. The manual has all the clearances and run outs?, I think that is the right term, that the FSM may not have. Look on ebay for the rebuild manual for the AX-15. My FSM did not have the procedure and Ebay is where I got mine.

Back