• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

selectable locker in front?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I've seen several people installing OXs or ARBs in front diffs. Could you not accomplish the same thing MUCH cheaper with a 2-Low kit in the t-case? Manual hubs would seem to do the same thing, although not as convienently as a driver control from the inside.
Am I missing something??:confused:

not missing

No, I don't think you're missing anything. A 2-low kit wouldn't accomplish quite the same thing, but close enough that you probably wouldn't notice the difference. Locking hubs, yes, but not nearly as convenient. What is convenience worth to you? To some people I guess the answer is "a lot."

Of course, the difference in price between locking hubs and a selectable locker isn't huge, but then the locking (probably should call them UN-locking) hubs offer other benefits as well.

I'm a bit confused at what you are trying to accomplish. So my responce may be off base here. A locking Diff and locking hubs have two totally differn't functions.

I'm new at the XJ stuff so I don't know if they make a locking hub or not for the XJ. If they do, the job of the locking hub is to connect or disconnect the front axle from the front wheels. This allows them to freewheel without spinning the whole front axle assembly when you are in 2wd. This saves on wear and tear on the front axle and improves fuel economy. The vacume operated front axle disconnect sort of accomlishes the same job, but not compleately since one wheel is still connected to the front diff. They do sell a cable actuator that takes place of the failure prone vacume set up though.

A locking diff or limited slip is a traction control device for the front axle. Basicly it prevents one wheel from spinning when it has less traction than the other front wheel. A selectable locker in the front will allow you to lock the front diff while off road and allow you to unlock it for normal driving on the street.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Last edited:
Also, you must keep in mind the people in cold weather climates that get frequent snow and Ice. I wouldn't have anything but a selectable locker in the front of my rig (if I could afford it). 4WD works great with an OPEN diff on icey snowy conditions on the road, it gives that little added stability but doesn't affect the steering. A LOCKER up front is brutal to drive with on snowy road ways in 4X4 it almost feels more unsecure because of the potential for understeer and such. With a selectable you get the best of both worlds.

I guess i don't understand this statement.....
Could you not accomplish the same thing MUCH cheaper with a 2-Low kit in the t-case?
A 2 LOW kit will completely disco the front end, No power transfer to the front axle. With a Selectable when you have it "unlocked" you are still acting as it is in 4X4 but with an open differential rather than a locker, so it would be a totally different thing.

I hope that makes sense if I am wrong somehow I am sure someone will Speak up!:cheers:

JBrobeck said:
Also, you must keep in mind the people in cold weather climates that get frequent snow and Ice. I wouldn't have anything but a selectable locker in the front of my rig (if I could afford it). 4WD works great with an OPEN diff on icey snowy conditions on the road, it gives that little added stability but doesn't affect the steering. A LOCKER up front is brutal to drive with on snowy road ways in 4X4 it almost feels more unsecure because of the potential for understeer and such. With a selectable you get the best of both worlds.

I guess i don't understand this statement.....
A 2 LOW kit will completely disco the front end, No power transfer to the front axle. With a Selectable when you have it "unlocked" you are still acting as it is in 4X4 but with an open differential rather than a locker, so it would be a totally different thing.

That makes sense with the snow. I was thinking more along the lines of turning sharp on high-traction slickrock. You could turn off the ARB OR you could shift to 2-Low, both would do the same thing.
Thanks for the brain jog!!;)

BillR.... yeah you damn southerners with your nice weather, its 32* here and about 2" of snow on the ground right now, I kind of assumed that you were talking about wheeling more than anything else but I thought I would throw another scenario in there for you!:)

Although I only use my locker when all else fails,I still need 4WD!I release it asap so I can make the turns.There is no substitute for a "selectable".

RCP Phx said:
Although I only use my locker when all else fails,I still need 4WD!I release it asap so I can make the turns.There is no substitute for a "selectable".
I understand now..
But you COULD do the same thing with manual hubs. (unlock one side):confused:

Well thats alot of workPlus now youre in three wheel drive and really loading an axle!

BillR.... yeah you damn southerners with your nice weather, its 32* here and about 2" of snow on the ground right now,

Bill you didn't tell him we live in the great white north...AZ that is, I dont think the temp is any above 35 and winds of 20 mph....and trying to snow, we get on average 5' of snow a year,

You could turn off the ARB OR you could shift to 2-Low, both would do the same thing.

Not exactly in two lo there is no driving any wheel on teh front, with a selectable locker you will still be in four wheel drive and have some power to the front

Originally posted by xjnation Bill you didn't tell him we live in the great white north...AZ that is, I dont think the temp is any above 35 and winds of 20 mph....and trying to snow, we get on average 5' of snow a year,

Not exactly in two lo there is no driving any wheel on teh front, with a selectable locker you will still be in four wheel drive and have some power to the front [/B]

Brian--
Don't tell them that. Let them think ALL of AZ is hot an ugly.:D

OK, now I see it was a dumb question...

Back