• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q’s on baring my rear end

Bones

NAXJA Forum User
Now before Beezil gets all excited I'm taking about the D44 under my XJ.

I have a bent housing and need to strip it down completely for the shop to straighten it.

I can take anything apart, that's not an issue. What I need to know is how I get it back together. I will not be changing gears or carrier but I do want to replace the carrier bearings and the pinion bearings while I have it apart. I will also be installing ZJ disks if I can come up with a set soon.

Does the D44 have a crush sleeve or is it a torque and go set up on the pinion (provided I keep all the shims in place)? Does replacing the bearings force a change in shims for either the pinion or carrier?

I know I have one slightly twisted axle shaft. Where is a good place to score a set of D44 shafts for a stock style carrier (30 spline IIRC)? Are the stock shafts 30 spline?

Thanks,

Bones :skull1:

No crush sleeve. As far as changing bearings, I think to be safe you should check your backlash and bearing preloads. Just changing bearings "shouldn't" change the setup, but then again, better safe then sorry.

picture.JPG

Avoiding the temptation to follow the lead of the ____ ____ thread hijackers......... :D

Bones, if you put in new carrier and pinion bearings the rear end is going to need to be set up again. You can start with the current shims, and they may be right, but they may not be, and it all has to be checked anyway. The pinion has shims, as I remember.

The best thing to do on axles, especially since you've already twisted one, is to get alloy shafts from Dutchman or another axle builder......roughly $300 per set. They are 30 spline.

Bones said:
Now before Beezil gets all excited I'm taking about the D44 under my XJ.

I have a bent housing and need to strip it down completely for the shop to straighten it.
Thanks,

With all this $$ you are going to spend on this d44, why don't you just get another one or a d60? I found a d44 for an XJ on this site. It is worth a look if you want to save a few.

http://car-part.com/

Curt

Re: Re: Q’s on baring my rear end

h.curtis said:
With all this $$ you are going to spend on this d44, why don't you just get another one or a d60? I found a d44 for an XJ on this site. It is worth a look if you want to save a few.

http://car-part.com/

Curt

I have thought about the 60 or even a FMC 9" but I would need a new locker, gears, wheels, driveshaft etc. If I were going to go to that much expense, I would just lay down the extra Jack for a prorock 60.

Another D44 would be an option, but I still face a new gear set up, new bearings, and tube alignment check. In addition, D44's are very hard to come by in my area. Local Junkyard’s like to bend you over without even a reach around, and it's still BYO-KY. They want about $350 exchange for a Dana turdyfive at the nearest yard that has XJ's.

I did check out the link. There are a lot of 44's listed. Some of those yards must think they are made of gold though. I cannot believe one wanted a grand. The ones toward the cheap end were more realistic.

Back