• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will 33's fit

tbear

NAXJA Forum User
i have 3.5 of lift on my 96 xj. i am currently running 31's on 10 in. rims . with fender trimming will i fit 33's under it. i rarely offroad and i have the tires just sitting there. the tires are 12.5 wide please help

You really have 31" tires on a 10" rim?

WOW

you'll need to do alot of trimming or lift it some more or never go fast thru a dip in the road or even turn much.

However if you are really running 10" rims you might have trimmed enough already, but put your 33s on 8" rims max.

mark
orgs mfg

This is what I'm planning on too, so I hope so :). Anybody else out there with experience with this? I've trimmed off the entire raised lip on my fronts (about 1.75") all the way around and moved the flares up. I'm planning on 285/75R16's on 16x8 rims with 4.25" BS.

I'm running these now(285/75 16s w/ 4.5" BS) with non-extended bumpstops on 4-5" of lift depending on how the weather is and how Rusty's springs feel about supporting my Jeep:rolleyes:. I rub a little up front and under hard stuff catch the back of the fender well in the rear. It catches enough to pull the metal forward. I need to fold this under soon. I have trimmed up front so there is only one fold in the remaining metal, and in the rear I slit and folded to about the same place, retaining the pinch welds, and just folding them inside the wheel well. With about an inch less lift I guarantee you will rub if you disco and probably if you take off your rear swaybar. I've never had one so I don't speak from experience on that. I would say the minimum amount of lift for 285s(33x11.50) would be 4", preferably closer to 5, and for 33x12.50s, definately at least 4.5, probably closer to 5 again as well. HTH

Ary

BTW, I don't rub the fender itself in the front, but rather my swaybar and disco's when they're in the "stored" position, and on my coil towers. I also don't rub the fender anywhere in the rear.

I haven't trimmed my rear yet, but I'm not planning on going past the pinch seam. On the front I took out both folds all the way around and trimmed the bottom front like the newer style XJ's. I've got Teraflex discos in the front and haven't had the rear sway bar for 3 years. Do you think 4.25BS compared to 4.5BS would prevent the rubbing on the coil towers or make it light enough to not matter? What is HTH? Time to check the NAXJA lingo page again. I'm pretty set on staying at 3.5" lift because it's still a DD and I've experimented with many other levels and like the 3.5", but last time I was in the rocks I really wished for more clearance under the axles. I could avoid the whole thought process if I could just bolt them up for a week and "try them out" before buying. :)

HTH = hope this helps.....

As for the .25" difference in back spacing and the difference it will make. My rubbing on the coil tower is very light and only under extreme flex. Now that I'm thinking about it though, I rub worse on the inner fender where it curves down in the front. It's to the point that I have worn the paint off down to bare metal and if I don't go wheelin at least once every 2 weeks, I get surface rust. :rolleyes: This could of course be fixed with bumpstops, but I can't ever seem to find time to pull my coils out to add bumpstops. Once again, HTH.

Ary

P.S. Since you seem so set on 3.5", just bumpstop the crap out of it and you won't have any problems. :D

33's do fit

just got done puttin those 33's on my 3.5 lifted xj..... yes i did do some major hacking, i mean trimming,,,,, but it does work. havent done any ditch running yet but it will be fine.

Got any pictures tbear? I'm still finishing off the tread on my 31's.

I'm doing some of the same stuff as you guys. I have4.5" lift and I am getting ready to take off flares and trim. I'm going flareless. My wife currently runs 33x12.5 Super Swampers on here TJ and we are going to put on some 35x12.5's real soon. She loves her TJ. So I get the old tires of course. I don't rock crawl and only hit some mud holes and dirt roads. So hopefully I won't have to much rubbing. If I do I will cut some more. Eventually I will put on her TJ flares when she gets wider ones. Sorry I didn't have anything to add I only wanted to share what I am planning. Hope yours works...Doug

pics

ive got pics just not sure how to post them yet. got my stock flares on and iit looks great. as soon as i figure out the pic thing, kinda new to computers , if you have a step by step way please help.

my lift has sagged to about 3" total lift now.

still running 33X12.50s

it ONLY rubs when I stuff a rear tire ALL the way, and it doesn't rub enough for me to have to worry about it.

I cut the livin fawk outta my junk tho... :D

Let's see pictures cheap or tbear. Tbear, there is a practice forum where you can try out your pictures, but they have to be hosted on another site and then just linked to here on NAXJA.

Edit: Never mind, found some on Cheap XJ's web site.

Last edited:
Back