• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear manual locking hubs?

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if it would be possible to have a manual locking rear hub for my XJ. I am only 2wd so it would be awesome if I could have it run open or locked without going the ARB route. I have a Dana 35 in the rearend so any advice about doing this modification would be great!

Thanks,
Jamie

Why? Without a locker, when you unlock one hub you can't drive anywhere, all the power to the axle will goto the unlocked side. So that means you would need a locker of some sort back there for it to even work.

Static-XJ said:
Why? Without a locker, when you unlock one hub you can't drive anywhere, all the power to the axle will goto the unlocked side. So that means you would need a locker of some sort back there for it to even work.

Why do it if you didn't have a locker? You already got 1 wheel spinnin'. I think he wants to do a spool or something, but doesn't want to eat up tires, but Mad MaXJ's right bro, it'd cost a fortune!

It would also have realy odd handling traits. i have a fiend with a TJ that tryed it and he decided it was better to eat the tires alittle than to wreck it.

You guys made some good points, I thought there might be a way to make an alternative to an ARB but it sounds like that's not going to be a realistic modification. Thanks for the help, guess I'll have to start researching about some form of locker for the rear end.

Thanks,
Jamie

The only benifiet would be if you are towing your truck. I read about someone doing it before, just for that reason

99-750.gif

Back