• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A little warning for you 8.8 guys

Yeah, aren't those 8.8's great? :eek:

I love it when someone asks a question about swapping in a D44 and bunch of guys will jump on the thread saying "why don't you get an 8.8, they're sooooo much better than a D44".

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Thin tubes that rip apart on traction bars, rivets instead of rosette welds that don't hold so the pumpkin spins on the tubes. Nice trail fixes....... :D :D

Dana...Dana...Dana :D :D :D

LOL, didn't I have to tow someone out of Rusty Nail not long ago when their 8.8 tube spun? ;) :D

Jes

Ha that situation refrenced would of broken both Dana 44 shafts and twisted the poor girlie dana 44 pinion in half all in one fell swoop :)

The more ford stuff on your junk the stronger it is. I painted my 297 joints Ford blue and they have been putting up with my 38s and stroker motor :);)

Last edited:
Gary E said:
Ha that situation refrenced would of broken both Dana 44 shafts and twisted the poor girlie dana 44 pinion in half all in one fell swoop :)
PULLLLEEEASE!:rolleyes:
I'm calling :bs: on that statement!
Can you say c-clips?? Sure, I knew you could...;)
That guys probably thinking :doh: I could've had a 44!

That guys probably thinking I could've had a 44!

I don't think so, he could have, and he made the logical choice :D

Yes I can say C-clips can you say I'm a :looser: :D

Sorry I will go no further on this duplicate 44 vs 8.8 thread :D

I am swapping in an 8.25 this week its kick arse!

Gary E said:
I don't think so, he could have, and he made the logical choice :D

I am swapping in an 8.25 this week its kick arse!

I'm QUITE sure he's not thinking he made a logical choice right now...:rolleyes:

Swapping in an 8.25? How ironic. I'm swapping OUT a 29-spline 8.25 next week sometime for... YEP, a D44!:D

Goatman said:
Yeah, aren't those 8.8's great? :eek:

I love it when someone asks a question about swapping in a D44 and bunch of guys will jump on the thread saying "why don't you get an 8.8, they're sooooo much better than a D44".

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Thin tubes that rip apart on traction bars, rivets instead of rosette welds that don't hold so the pumpkin spins on the tubes. Nice trail fixes....... :D :D

Dana...Dana...Dana :D :D :D
Great points!:cool:

Don't forget thin center sections also....weld up the tubes and the center section explades instead of spinning the tube....I have always been leary when the weight of the 8.8 is inly around 200.lbs and a 44 is 260.lbs gotta loose that weight somewhere!

and dont believe that the backing plates will hold in the axle when the c-clip flails, if you are running 35's it will torgue that backing plate to crap in about 100 yards...not a pretty site....maybe I can find the pics...scary stuff

Nope, I just got a great deal on an axle I've always wanted. I've been looking for one since I got my XJ, and IT'S TIME!!:D

i'd rather modify the right axle to fit discs, than modify an inferior axle just to have them... if thats the only reason for the swap.... ok.. there's my $.37
mike

that is not the only reason people swap in 8.8 the axleshafts are actually stronger than the 44 but it is very eviedent that the housing needs a little mods such as a truss

azxjman said:
so what are you doing with the 8.25
It will be for sale in a few weeks.
You want it?;)
29-spline, 4:10s, new bearings, raised shock mounts, and an Auburn LSD!

All this debate between 8.25s, 8.8s and 44s.......

All I have to say is 60 60 60 :D That's right folks, the 60 has been purchased and will be finding it's way under an XJ near me by this summer. No, I didn't break the 8.25, but the 60 was cheap, and the 8.25 is a ROYAL PIECE!! I predict 37s in the distant future, so I figure I might as well only build my axles once. ;)

Ary

Yes, the 8.25 is for sale, you pay for gears and it comes with the gears of your choice(in other words, no labor cost), ARB, new brakes, and the brackets for the TSM disc kit. PM me with offers :cool:

8.8 axle

I just purchased a 1998 Exploder 8.8" with discs, 4.10, ltd-slp, and only 14Kmiles for $350 this past week. I figured it was better and cheaper than investing in a D35 ;) Now I read these posts :rolleyes: I suppose if I'm STAYING at <32" tires and use a SYE, I shouldn't be in the same predicament as some of you other guys. I also read the link to the Pirate site and these guys are running larger tires and thoroughly abusing their rigs.
I suppose some tack welding of the tube to the pumpkin and possibly even a home-brew truss should cure any ailments that might beset a DD rig like mine ?
BLUTO :)

Bluto - You'll be fine. Most of the guys jumping on the "8.8's stink" bandwagon have never run an 8.8, and only a few have seen 'em fail - in person. The tubes should be welded, but I havn't gotten aroung to it, and it's held up fine to 35's and hard wheeling so far. Who's SEEN the c-clips fail on the 8.8??
I'm by no means saying that D44's are crap, and 8.8's are the best. That's pretty arrogant. In fact, a Dana 44 has better clearance under the diff than an 8.8. - which is clutch. Part of the reason I'm casually toying with the idea of at 44 swap front/rear with waggy 44's, for a little more width, and a litte more clearance - just a thought...

Back