• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! T-case won't shift out of 4 lo after AA SYE install

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
I installed the Advanced Adapters SYE on my friend's TJ last night and after all was said and done, the case won't shift out of 4-lo. His front DS let go last week and bent the linkage(we straightened it out, but we're not exactly sure what it's supposed to look like), so we have a feeling this may have something to do with it. We tried disconnecting the linkage and shifting it, but that doesn't accomplish anything. You can however shift the lever backwards and the T-case goes into neutral again. I'd never done the HD SYE before, but I have replaced the output shaft on my XJ's 231('01, TJ is '00). Help guys, I feel really bad 'cause I did the work. Thanks

Ary

P.S. I know this should theoretically go in "other tech" but it's a 231 and I need help ASAP and other tech doesn't get nearly as much traffic as here does. Sorry.

You put the shifter linkage back in there wrong did you follow the instructions when it said to put the shifter all the way into(4lo I think or neutral) before you crack the case open.... I cant remember its been too long you just have to split the case again and make sure and put the linkage in the right postion before closing the case back up....
luck
themud:D

we shifted it into 4-lo before cracking the case, and it was in 4-lo when we put it back together. I didn't mess with the shift mechanisms inside the case. I cracked the case, pulled the output shaft, chain, and front shaft put the new shaft together and slid it all back in. What did I miss :confused:

The EXACT thing happened to my dumbass when I did mine. You reinstalled the shift linkage upside down. You don't have to crack the case, just take the linkage off the 9/16 bolt, flip the whole thing upside down and it should work. What it is trying to do right now is shift the mechanism in the case in the wrong direction and it is hitting a wall; physically cannot move. Ask me how I know; cause my dumbass split the whole case again before I realized what I did.

Since there is no reason to remove the shift linkage arm,Id say you put the "mode" selection fork in up-side down!

Dirk Funk said:
The EXACT thing happened to my dumbass when I did mine. You reinstalled the shift linkage upside down. You don't have to crack the case, just take the linkage off the 9/16 bolt, flip the whole thing upside down and it should work. What it is trying to do right now is shift the mechanism in the case in the wrong direction and it is hitting a wall; physically cannot move. Ask me how I know; cause my dumbass split the whole case again before I realized what I did.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I wish I'd seen this about 3 hours ago :mad: We discovered that AFTER I took the case apart and found nothing wrong. A well-known TJ expert(mrblaine) told me I had installed the main gear on the shaft backwards. Fortunately, I'm the one that put the SYE in and the owner of the TJ is the one who put the linkage together, so at least it wasn't my fault :rolleyes: Thanks guys, live and learn.

Ary

Back