• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's with D30 and D35 axles?

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
Am thinking of going to 35's.
Am looking at RE 5.5 lift
Have already done allot of fender trimming and HD SYE and Tom Woods shaft.

My main question is. Are the Stock D30 and D35 axles strong enough to get by until I can afford to up grade.

Not asking anyone to predict the future, but am wondering about the opinion of others with this lift, tire and axle combination.

Thanks

Daryl

If you are gentle on pavement and don't wheel until you upgrade, they'll probably hold up.

Lawn Cher' said:
If you are gentle on pavement and don't wheel until you upgrade, they'll probably hold up.

Doesn't really sound like me.

Am thinking of a D44 from an explorer for the rear.

But there is a Chry 8.25 sitting in the local yard, not as much fab on it. Bolt and go.....

Have no idea for what to put up front?

BTW I'm locked frt&rear 4.0 auto

Last edited:
swapping out the front can be tricky. you have to take into a account many many things. also, my friend ran 35 bfg's on his 4.0 wrangler d30 hp without breaking anything up front. he did tear up that 35 quick though. try searching

I wheel with a guy 35 inch tires dana 30 dana 35 and he is welded he has broken 2 rear axles but he wheels the hell out of it. He has been on every hard core trail in az.

azxjman said:
I wheel with a guy 35 inch tires dana 30 dana 35 and he is welded he has broken 2 rear axles but he wheels the hell out of it. He has been on every hard core trail in az.

LOL, does he consider Crown King "hard core"? :D
Welded D35s usually end up looking like this...
picture.JPG

Jes

ive seen open diffed 30/35 combo last on 35's. by lasting i mean minimal repairs needed on the d35 [pinion yoke broke, t case needed to be plugged (no sye) to get home], however i wouldnt recomend it. its kind of like saying move to so. cal and hold off on getting fire/quake/mudslide insurance. basically swap your axles before you buy the tires, unless you got a deal on the tires then just be prepared for the worst.

Hunter

no he doesnt think crown king is hard core :rolleyes: I have ran such trails with him as squeeze rock hi-way to hell axle alley those are hard-core all are 4.5 rated

not really close but on the same side of town it runs between lower sycamore creek and upper it is an awesome trail by far my most favorite in arizona

JEONLYEP said:
So how about swapping in the Chry 8.25, How much stronger is it virses the 35c?

What year 8.25?

If it's a 27-spline, save your money. If it's a 29-spline, it falls in between a Dana 35 and a Dana 44 or Exploder 8.8

that would be a 27 spline but it is very easily upgradable all you have to do is put in a locker for a 29 spline and buy the 29 spline shafts prefferably aftermarket and boom you got yourself a kick ass diff

No its not what you have to do alot of people say it cant be done just because they havent done it if I listend to people everytime they said not to do something or that it cant be done I would still be BONE STOCK. You can do anything you want but just understand what you are doing. I wheel with 35 inch tires and a 27 spline 8.25 and 3.55 gears. That being said I cant count the times somebody said you wont have enough power you willl burn your tranny up blah blah blah. Fact is I havent done any harm to my tranny as yet... or broke an axle...but I understand what I am doing and I am VERY EASY ON THE SKINNY PEDAL.

Thanks to all who replied. I think that I see it's a borderline thing. And that it's more about my driving than anything else.

And I am kinda proud of the fact I started my first thread that made it to two pages!

Thanks again.

Daryl

Back