• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker Install Question

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered an Aussie locker and found out it won't arrive until about November 18th. I'm ready to re-gear and would prefer not to wait until then to do so. I called Torq Masters and they said there is no problem getting the center pin out with the carrier installed. I called the shop doing the gears (Kiatek in Tucson) and they said there might be an issue but they're not sure. He had a Dana 30 sitting there with 3.73's in it and the center pin came out fine, but 4.10 ring gear might be different. Has anybody removed the center pin in a Dana 30 with a 4.10 ring gear and did you have any clearance issues? I just want to make sure ahead of time, otherwise I'll wait the extra 3 weeks. I'm just interested in those that have actually done it or tried it and whether or not there are clearance issues. It will be a Spicer ring gear and stock carrier.

when I installed my lockrite up front all I had to do is pull the carrier which is 4 bolts then pull the ring gear off wich seems like a hell of a lot of bolts then pushed the pin out installed the new locker then put the ring back on with locktight on the bolts it was really easy.

Are you running 4.10's? I'll probably just wait until the locker comes and do it all at once if that's the case. Thanks for the reply.

I know it doesn't matter but I had to remove the ring gear to get the cross shaft out on my 3.55 dana 30.

One thing though... whether you have to pull the carrier or not you still have to remove the tires, brakes, hubs, and shafts. Pulling the carrier is the easy part of the process and allows you to work on the locker install in a nicer location ..i.e. on your workbench.

I have a new carrier because of the gear change, so I'll just wait until the locker comes, put it in the carrier, then take the carrier/locker combo to the shop that is going to do the gears and have it all over and done with. If I have the shop do the gears first, then I'll just have to tear it apart in another 3 weeks to put the locker in.

Back