• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 seal question

ZPD

NAXJA Forum User
Refresh my memory; it has been a while since I have had my D44 opened up.
I have diff. fluid coming out of the tubes and on my brakes etc.
Is there a seal on the outer end of the axle? does the bearing have to be removed to replace the seal?
Thanks for your help

I had the same problem. IIRC its seal, bearing, race (seated in the flange), retainer as you follow the shaft in toward the diff. Makes sense I guess as the diff fluid is meant to flow down and lube the bearing. I think you have to have a shop do it or if you have a press I guess you could. Most recommend just replacing everything while you are there. Are both leaking? Even if they arent its time to do them BOTH at the same time. Unless there is some reason one side is leaking you can identify. if its a worn seal, do them both. Wait....just found a pic of my blown bearings.....
http://www.kofira.com/gallery/bearings-shot.jpg

HTH

P

in simpler terms....... the seals, bearings, and axle retainer are all mounted on the axle shaft.. and i agree with the idea of replacing it all since its gotta come out and be pressed off and back on.... i had mine done by a shop locally for $190 .. would have been $120 for just the seals..... use quality timken bearings, they will last another 15 years...
mike

I just went through the same thing a couple months ago when I built my 44. I ended up replacing the shafts with Superior ones when I installed the new seals and bearings. I got the shafts for $109 a piece from 4WD Hardware (look in the TJ catalog). I figured I didn't want to spend another $150 to pull and press the parts onto a new OEM shaft when it broke, and I ended up with a leaky set of spares that would at least get me off the trail if I break one of the Superiors.

I got the seals and bearings from the dealer. It was actually less than the local axle and driveshaft place before my discount, and they had the backing plates. I think the total for parts and labor was around $150.00 but I can't remember what they charge me for labor there.

Back