• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan: push or pull?

XJade

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question. Is the electric fan supposed to push air out towards the radiator or is supposed to pull air in? Is it possible to reverse the wiring? I may have inadvertently switched the wiring last night. The XJ no longer has the original connectors. So i had to do a splice job and may have screwed up. The jeep sure seemed like it was running abnormally hot.

Pull

The fan pulls air through the radiator and dumps it into the engine compartment. I would check your wiring.:)

Black is positive, white is negative.

Typically, on electric fans, the black wire is the positive and the white wire is the negative. If you have these two wires on your fan setup this way, it should pull air through the rad. If they're reversed, it'll push hot engine air into the radiator.

Ah. That's where I went wrong. Thought black was negative. It's a mess in that bundle anyways. Wires and splices make for a good rainbow!! I plan to pretty things up soon. Make it half way decent and decipherable.

Back