• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 part number

h.curtis

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry, if this was asked before. I just can't seem to find a thread that contains the part numbers. On top of that I did a search and couldn't find anything except something that was hard to understand.

I think they are:

605342-1 (3.07)
605342-3 (3.54)
? (3.55)

I am looking at a couple out of the XJ on a shelf. I want to make sure I am getting the right rear. Any other advice on this? I don't want to be too big of a sucker walking in there.

Curt

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
count the ring gear teeth and divide by pinion gear teeth

Hunter

I don't understand? I am looking to scrape the paint off the axle and look at the number to see if it is the correct d44 from an XJ. I don't care what gear ratio it is. Am I misreading your post?

Curt

He thought you were refering to the part numbers for the R&P gears.

I dont know off hand what the axle manf. stamp is. Your best bet is just going in with some rough ideas of the size. If it is the right width wms to wms, has leaf mounts in the right area, and has the right shock mounts and bolt patter then buy it.

I doubt you'll be able to find stamped number. They are tuff to read at best.

-Scott

On mine the number is on the back of the passenger side axle tube!Once you get the number,go to Dana to identify it!
BTW:the 605342-series is a 87 XJ D44!

Dana

Last edited:
XJCHUCK72 said:
Are you trying to make sure you get the 3.55, and run it as a 3.55. The carrier is the same for the 3.07 as the 3.55.

No RCP's got it. Sorry for the confusion. I did go to the Dana site and can't get the part by putting in the part number. I have been to three junk yards that say they have what I want and NONE of them have had it. I have two more to go and then I am taking a break. I can see why people don't want to do this.

Curt

Have you checked out Car-Parts.com,they list a few right in your area!

Check and Ask them to verify!

If you are looking for a XJ D44 (on car-Part.com or elsewhere) be sure to ask them to verify that it is a D$$. I and other people have driven long distances to buy a D44 that turned out to be a D35!
C&N in Woonsocket, RI has 4 or 5 of them 401-762-9494.

Re: Check and Ask them to verify!

rsalemi said:
If you are looking for a XJ D44 (on car-Part.com or elsewhere) be sure to ask them to verify that it is a D$$. I and other people have driven long distances to buy a D44 that turned out to be a D35!
C&N in Woonsocket, RI has 4 or 5 of them 401-762-9494.

I am finding that out. Three yards around here said they have it and all three didn't. I am not going to drive that far. There is one in Ohio that isn't that far and a guy out this way says he has one for $350. That is a little high, but I may go for it if it is all there. I found one missing one side of the axle. I am starting to think about just going with my 35.

Curt

Back