• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alloy RIMS, What size Tire can I use?

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I have the stock 5 spoke alloy rims, in my searches I have come up with the following.

I know that I can use 30's but what size???? 30x?.?

My XJ is my Daily Driver, I need new meats to battle the comming winter. My current meats are probably at 55% - 60% tread.

These are the rims I have......

fab4c348.jpg

XJ91, the "standard" 30 inch tire is a 30x9.50x15. That size is the most common. A friend of mine has this size on a Toyota truck, and they do a good job.

If the rims are 15 x 6 then the largest tire you can mount is a 235/75R15. If you have a 15 x 7 you can mount the 30s or larger

I had a 95 limited, I don't know the wheel style name, with 235/75/15 BFG AT's with no rubbing. I now have a 96 classic with the rounded 5 spoke wheels and have 30/9.5/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted and they rub on my LCA's at full lock. I've heard some people do not have this problem, then again its only at full lock so if you can cope with that go for it they fill the wheel well's nicely.

XJ91 --

I run 30x9.50R15s on those exact rims when I take my '88 off-road. I'm at stock height. I don't disconnect the front sway bar, and I have no rubbing from suspension compression. There is slight rubbing against the lower control arm when the steering is turned all the way to the limits.

235/75R15s are just a "smidge" smaller than the 30s, and can generally be run with no rubbing anywhere. I think you'd be happy with either one.

BTW -- Those rims are 15x7 and the rims can easily handle 31x10.50s -- but then you'll have more rubbing on turns.

martin said:
If the rims are 15 x 6 then the largest tire you can mount is a 235/75R15. If you have a 15 x 7 you can mount the 30s or larger

The rims are mrked on the inside 15 x 7.

ThanX for the responses guys..

235 75 15 = 29 9.25 15 whitch is about the same as a 30 9.50 15 because you know that floatation tires run smaller than they say.

Back