• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right side drop T-cases?

Jared

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I got my hands on a Chev D60/14 Bolt combo. I was wondering if there are any cases that mate up to an AX-15 with a passenger side drop. I am in no way bent on putting these axles in my rig, just looking for ideas. I couldn't pass these axles up (they were cheap!) and now I need something to do with them.

Thanks for any input,
Jared

Oh yeah, my rig is a 1991 XJ with a 4.0L and the AX-15/NP231 setup. D35 rear axle, if that matters...

IIRC some one makes a cps that works off the harmonic balancer which would free you up to run a older manual trans and tcase from a CJ. Just an idea. Theoretical. An automatic would be less hassel to install I think. T15 trans and 300(?) tcase. Of course a friend keeps talking about a 300 flip kit to put the out puts on the appropriate side for his 94 wrangler. Maybe a 300(?) will bolt up? There might be body related reasons for not doing it. Hmmm...I wonder if I got the numbers right....

If a 300 can be flipped on an AX15, why can't ya mount it unflipped? (just the adapter plate or ??) and do PSD axle?

The only AX15>300 conversion I've seen up close (Johann from Raleigh) was flipped and clocked way flat...with huge hole in the tunnel at the time, but... It had great ground clearance.

No shame in leafs x 4 either... Jacobs Moonster truck looked like too much fun at Moab

Common woody, I want to see more pics/website of jacobs xj. Always looking at what other people did so I can improve mine.
fab4a2fb.jpg

Just put new shackles on the front and need to loose a bottom leaf to try and find a bit more droop. When it bounces twisted up on the trail it can hit the inside front fender wells. Going to fab some front bump stops soon.

If my memory serves me correctly you can do a pass side drop axle with a dana 300 unflipped and a adapter plate I know someone did the exact combo your talking about.

I was right they did it with a waggy dana 44 pass drop and the 300 to the ax-15 all they needed was a clocking ring

Please forgive my being naive, but where do I find a Dana 300 case? Do you get a clocking ring from Advance Adapters, or hopefully, somebody cheaper?

Jared

BTW - Is the 300 any good? Strength? Gear ratio?

The 300 is an awesome t-case. It is just as good as an atlas IMO and can be had for as little as 50 bucks at a junk yard. It comes with a fixed yoke and 4:1 gears can be had for 700 bucks. The clocking ring you will need is cheaper than you think it can be had for 170 bucks so this is a VERY CHEAP BUILD UP.

Sounds like a real cool mod. I've been looking into different T-case compatibility in the XJ also, especially how to address passenger drops for part swaps from different trucks. How do you shift it if the control lever is now on the passenger side? Anyone deal with this before?

Mark

NV241D

The NV241D (Dodge) is a 23 spline input, with the same bolt pattrern as the NV231. Passenger drop, and its already slip-yoke
eliminated :) yee-ha. Full size Dodge 88-93 I think. I pulled one this summer for $50 bucks at the u-pull-it. It looks like it will bolt-up, but may need longer studs, and spacer because the female-input sticks out a little farther. One ton tcase.

I am currently looking for a NV241C (Chevy) which is driver-side
drop. I am planning switching the input, and SYE parts.

Generally Dana 300's do not come with 4:1 ratio. They have a 2.62:1 ration which is less gearing than the NP231. They do come stock with a SYE but the rear output shaft is 26 spline so about the same strength as your current NP231 front output. Some say this is an issue however the..

Dana 30 pinion
Dana 44 pinion
NP 231 front output
Dana 300 Front output
AND Dana 300 rear output

all use the same sized 26 spline shaft so you can actually swap yokes around a bit depending on the combo you need.

To install a Dana 300 on an AX-15 you will need a clocking ring...it serves more as a spacer as the Dana 300 won't fit flush to the AX-15.

what I meant was it is cheap to build up because all the parts for it are cheaper than the 231 such as the 4:1 kit is only 700 instead of 1000

Re: NV241D

BrokenXJ said:
The NV241D (Dodge) is a 23 spline input, with the same bolt pattrern as the NV231. Passenger drop, and its already slip-yoke
eliminated :) yee-ha. Full size Dodge 88-93 I think. I pulled one this summer for $50 bucks at the u-pull-it. It looks like it will bolt-up, but may need longer studs, and spacer because the female-input sticks out a little farther. ..

So Broken, with just a spacer plate (and longer studs) the NV241D should just bolt in? That should work pretty darn well then.

Again I plea, WHERE DO I FIND A DANA 300? Is this the full-size waggy case with the pass side diff?

Jared

Back