• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding the rear

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
I heard you can weld the rear axle together instead of buying a locker. I was wondering how this works. I was originally gonna put a spool in it but i might go the way of welding. I have a D60 in the back with drums and a 8 lug setup.

Thanks

Nik

You can weld the spiders creating a "Lincoln locker" or poor man's locker. Cheaper than a spool but acts the same. Spools are cheap, I'd recommend that.

chances are he CAN'T spool it.....

try findng one for 30 spline.

welding works awesome....

I recently broke a 30 spline shaft, supposedly not very hard to do, but I'm trying to make the point that the welded carrier held up to that at least.....

Where in gods name are you finding a spool for $25 bucks? I welded my rear the only problem is if its a daily driver the tires will wear out faster and chirp around corners. Getting ready to weld the front too.

CW. said:
Go with a spool, they are only like $25 and they are less permentant than welding the rear.

Mini spools are about 40-50$, full spools are 125$ +. Never seen one as low as 25$.

Mini spools replace the spiders, full spools replace the carrier.

These are prices for Ford nines, 60's could be way different

Nik...from what I remember about you, you are in school...don't have a lot of money..correct? If so...and this is your DD, I would not weld it....wait and buy what you need. If this is a trail only rig..go for it.

Rev

Beezil said:
chances are he CAN'T spool it.....

try findng one for 30 spline.

welding works awesome....

I recently broke a 30 spline shaft, supposedly not very hard to do, but I'm trying to make the point that the welded carrier held up to that at least.....

If it's done correctly, it prolly does, and I trust Beezil, since he's prolly spent more time in a moab gas station, much less trails, than my jeep's spent in my possession..having said that... Someone welded the 35's in the rear of my '89. Fine, upgraded to a lunchbox, since the spider gears were missing a tooth here and there, had to torch out the pin..you know, the one with the cracked weld on it, and ended up having to do a pilgrimage to a junk yard for a new carrier..extra expense, extra agravation. My long winded point..I'd either wait until you can afford what you need, or just make sure you do it right.

I was told that welding is not a good idea. That the welds will weaken the carrier and also will create an unbalanced condition in the rear end and cause vibrations. Is this true? or am I talking out of my rear end?

Well I can afford a spool and I can weld it. If I do do it i wil go the spool way. Now since I heard that it wears down on the tires a lot. I really cant buy tires that often and it took me a summers worth of work to pay for my current ones so I think I might save up for a electrac so I wont wear them down to much. Its my only car and i do drive it quite a bit but every weekend we go trailing, so I need something to lock up. Ithink I might save my money for a couple more months and try to buy a detroit electrac. But i like the cheapness of the spool.

Thanks fellas

Nik

Why not buy a lunch box locker or aussie locker there are fairly inexpensive and from what I hear work really good.

Nik said:
Well I can afford a spool and I can weld it. If I do do it i wil go the spool way. Now since I heard that it wears down on the tires a lot. I really cant buy tires that often and it took me a summers worth of work to pay for my current ones so I think I might save up for a electrac so I wont wear them down to much. Its my only car and i do drive it quite a bit but every weekend we go trailing, so I need something to lock up. Ithink I might save my money for a couple more months and try to buy a detroit electrac. But i like the cheapness of the spool.

Thanks fellas

Nik

Good thinking , Nik. On a trailer queen rig that doesn't see street duty, a spool will work fine. But, on a rig that is regularly driven on the street the cost of more frequent tire replacement cancels out the cost savings of a spool over a locker. A spool is not a cheap alternative on a street driven vehicle.

Hey thats funny. I thought it was a couple of months ago:) Yeah I was kinda thinking the same way about waering tires out.

Back