• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

light wireing question (quick & easy)

jallen

NAXJA Forum User
i'm going to install a fog lamp on the rear for extra reverse light and just have a quick and easy wireing question (i think).

it seems to me that all i need to do is tap the (+) from the lamp into the (+) of my actual reverse light and then give it a ground.

is there any reason that i have to make it any harder than this with relays and solenoids and such?

TIA

Maybe...... depends on how big of a light you're adding. If it draws too much, you'll scorch wiring.

i called the lighting guru (dave @ susquehanna motorsports) and he laughed when i asked him the same question i posted here.

the long and the short of the answer is "no, you'll want to run a relay".

it's not hard to run a relay for back up lights, i ran a 12ga wire in the "frame" rail back to the rt side tail light and the space is there in the light housing for a relay, then 12ga wire inside the body for a power outlet.

Well, I ran 6ga back to the rear panel anyhow so I could have 12 volts for whatever (recharging air compressor, running the cooler, what have you) and that's not a bad idea if you start putting extra power ANYTHING back there! There's enough room behind the liner panels to put lots of electronics (I have some relays, a light flasher, and a distribution post in there with room to spare!)

I would definitely use a relay for an aux light, and set it up to trigger both from the reverse lights and a panel switch, so it could double as a work light back there (you'd be surprised how handy THAT can be!) Besides, once you get something back there, you'll want more! For instance - if there is a lot of fog in your area, Hella AG makes a nice red rear fog light that is DOT/FMVSS legal for road use here in the states, and I've put them on a few vehicles I've had, and I'm fully convinced they've saved me from some accidents! I've got to get a few more so I can outfit my XJ's...

5-90

Back