• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
Hey thanks for the instructions 4xBob. I have myself in kindof a predicament now, I was messing with my TPS and I managed to strip out the head of the lower mounting screw for it. You know those Goofy Star tips that AMC/Chrysler used on everything on this motor? Any suggestions on getting the screw out? Its the one on the bottm, and its the hardest to get to.

Thanks

My new TPS came with new screws.

as far as getting that one out, try to grip it with skinny vice-grips. you probably can't use an extractor in that posistion. I would take the TB off and mess with it on the bench. clean the whole thing out while you're at it.

I don't know for the TPS specifically.

But for many stripped heads, with a Dremel tool you can cut a cross-slot in the head and use a standard blade screwdriver.

rixXJphx said:
I don't know for the TPS specifically.

But for many stripped heads, with a Dremel tool you can cut a cross-slot in the head and use a standard blade screwdriver.

This will work for the TPS. I've done it. You still need to be careful not to shear it. When you get a little movement in one direction, reverse it, and keep doing this - loose,tight,loose,tight - to increase the range of movement before you screw it all the way out.

It is also possible if the threads in the throttle body strip out to retap them for a slightly larger US size screw.

I found that when working with torx fasteners tapping the bit into the screw head with a hammer reduces the chances of striping the screw head. I learned this trick working on OLD rusty CJ's over the years and have had goo luck with it.

Oh BTW I usually replace any torx headed bolt with a standard bolt.

Back