• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater only works on defrost mode ?! vacuum lines?

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
My heater (and vent) will only blow through the defrost on the windshield. It won't switch to any of the other selections. This started when I broke a line going to that little plastic ball that is behind the bumper. I spliced that line back together, but it still isn't working?

what's the deal?

in case the heater controls break the factory setting is designed to kick it over to defrost so at least you will be able to see! I know this for a fact that little ball was prob some sort of vac maybe someone else can go further there that is what i know.

Yes, the black ball behind the front bumper is the vacuum canister, and air only through defrost vents is due to lack of vacuum to the heater controls. I would first re-check your splicing work and if ok then look for other leaks.

jim i had a similar problem where the fan speed controls would not work except for high. i had to replace th resistor under the dash on the pass side. its behind a black cover and has about 5 wires in the back with 2 screws. its about 20 bucks at the dealership.

Not to insult, but this can also be caused by not enough anti-freeze in the system...

I've discovered it twice on a crappy buick, and on my 96 XJ...small leaks in the radiator lots of them, but hard to find.

Teron

i also have the same problem onm my 88 wagoneer
bottle has a large hole in it
are these bottles all the same across the model years
so lf i go to the junk yard just pick out of any year xj

if the vacuum bottle dont hold vacuum then your cruise control probably wont work either.

Torfinn
89 limited

torfinn said:
if the vacuum bottle dont hold vacuum then your cruise control probably wont work either.

Torfinn
89 limited

On my 87, the bottle had two separate chambers, one just for the cruise ( I actually sawed it open - they were entirely independent, each with a check valve in the inlet, and an inner wall), so there's a possibility that one chamber is bad and the other good. The bottles are a little brittle, and the mounting feet can crack or break off, leaving a little hole which may be hard to spot.

The base model 89 had a single little round bottle, and the base 95 has a large one with one chamber.

Matthew Currie said:
...I actually sawed it open...

mkay....

I was going to give you a hard time about cutting up your own stuff, but I realized that I do the same thing. :rolleyes:

I used to saw open my dad's golf balls, my sister's barbie dolls, and my mom's ....come to think of it, I never messed with mom's stuff or she would kick my a$$.

---

I'm married now and my wife wouldn't kick my a$$. However, I think we all know what the consequences would be if I started messing with her stuff. (insert various "in the doghouse" and "no-nookie" stories here)

Back