• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can't take it, what the heck is making that sound

00xj

NAXJA Forum User
O.k. (2000, 3+,31's, gast tank skid, hitch, new shocks)

It sounds like it is right above the left rear shock mount. I can feel something banging above the shock mount area when I rode in the trunk. I can not reproduce this sound by bouncing my Jeep in the driveway.

It makes the sound when shocks are removed/installed. Wheels are tight. If it were the springs wouldn't I feel it where the springs mount?

It sounds like a baseball in a coffee can, kinda a thump thump sound. When I go over potholes or big cracks.

I thought it was the fuel lines hitting the floor, so I duck taped them and zip tied and foamed them up, didn't help. But that is what it sounds like, bump, bump bump, like something on a spring. E brake cables seem fine. No rocks in tank skid, tank is mounted tightly. I dont think there are any rocks stuck in the "frame," I bangged around with a hammer.

Thanks, I'm stumped

I have that same sound. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, but was figuring it was my shock mounts because they are incorrect and I am waiting on the correct ones. I also was thinking about adjusting the rear hatch stops to see if they are not in the right spot. I didn't hear this before my lift install, but there was so much noise before with those old wornout shock were replaced, I wouldn't have noticed.

I'll be interested if anyone else has had this. Not sure if we are looking for the same thing, but it sure sounds that way.

Curt

h.curtis said:
I also was thinking about adjusting the rear hatch stops to see if they are not in the right spot. I didn't hear this before my lift install, but there was so much noise before with those old wornout shock were replaced, I wouldn't have noticed.

I'll be interested if anyone else has had this. Not sure if we are looking for the same thing, but it sure sounds that way.

Curt

I checked my hatch, it not that. But good thought.

Thanks, if you find out send me a pm and I'll do the same.

Who's GT skid is it? stock or aftermarket? is your exhaust stock or other?, that sound is I would bet the exhaust pipe hitting your GT skid, when the engine is under torque the tail pipe moves quite a bit

xjnation said:
Who's GT skid is it? stock or aftermarket? is your exhaust stock or other?, that sound is I would bet the exhaust pipe hitting your GT skid, when the engine is under torque the tail pipe moves quite a bit

Mopar skid, stock exaust. I'll go check to see how close it is. Good idea. I will make the sound coasting. thanks

00xj said:
Mopar skid, stock exaust. I'll go check to see how close it is. Good idea. I will make the sound coasting. thanks

Well that's not it. The exaust is at least 3 in from the skid. I pushed/bounced it as hard as I could and couldn't get it to hit the skid.
I checked all the skid/hitch bolts, tight as can be.

Two things come to mind.... maybe the upper shock bar pins are clanking in the bushings when the shocks extend/compress (that's what I have going on)....

...or, if you have longer than stock shackles, they could banging up against the rear bumper bolts when the springs compress and the shackles move back. Check the rear side of the shackle and look for wear marks where they could be rubbing on the bumper bolts...

Ivan

Ivan said:
Two things come to mind.... maybe the upper shock bar pins are clanking in the bushings when the shocks extend/compress (that's what I have going on)....

...or, if you have longer than stock shackles, they could banging up against the rear bumper bolts when the springs compress and the shackles move back. Check the rear side of the shackle and look for wear marks where they could be rubbing on the bumper bolts...

Ivan

It still makes the sound w/o the shocks.

I didn't see any wear marks on the stock shackles. But I'll go put some masking tape on the back by the bolts and take her for a spin. Back in a minute.

Thanks

You have me thinking it is exhaust. I mean you removed the shocks and it is still there. Exhaust move around a little when you are driving. Somewhere in your exhaust you may have it hitting a bit on an abrupt bump. Mine is the same, when I jump up and down on my Jeep it doesn't make the noise, only when driving. I was just waiting for my shock bars, but now you have me thinking mine is exhaust. Hope we can get to the bottom of it. It may be the same problem.

Curt

Yep does it w/o shocks installed. I'll double check the exaust tomorrow, I know it is close to the springs. Maybe it's that.

(I wish one of you guys would by my Jeep. Seriously it's for sale.) I need a nice quiet Honda Accord. haha

Check the bottom of the bump stops and the top of the axle under the bump stops for evidence of contact.

Seats

I may be way off base but the rear seat will make horrible noises. The seat bottom hinges get worn and rattle badly. Just to take it out of the equation pull the seat out and wrap some tape around the hinge points. Hope it works. :)

I had to clearance my exhaust where it interfered with the leaf pack, but I'm running RE leaves and a Borla exhaust. That area is generally tight and would be worth a close look.

check the shackles to make sure theyre not hitting any part of the mount. mine were too far forward and they made a similar noise. My tail pipe also hit my leafs and sounded like that.

-just a thought

Know it sounds kinda far fetched but XJ/MJ's are notorious for motor mounts going south prematurely. Mine were toast and i replaced them with "bombproof" mm's. Does it make the nosie under hard acceleration? If so it could possibly be the mm. Good luck, pesky noises suck... Judd

Mines even more far fetched!!

I've had cars with c-clipped rear axle shafts that make noise when you go over bumps that cause a side to side motion. Might try pushing on the rear bumper end, getting it rocking side to side and see if it makes noise, or jack up a rear wheel and push/pull on it see if it makes the noise you are hearing.

MJmk said:
Mines even more far fetched!!

I've had cars with c-clipped rear axle shafts that make noise when you go over bumps that cause a side to side motion. Might try pushing on the rear bumper end, getting it rocking side to side and see if it makes noise, or jack up a rear wheel and push/pull on it see if it makes the noise you are hearing.

Holy side to side motion Batman, that sounds goofy to me. O.k that might be it. It does it on both sides. Definately noisy. I couldn't feel it in the floor when shaking it in the driveway, I could when I was riding in the trunk. But even if it's not the noise I'm looking for it's close enough to fix.

What do I do now? Thanks

Thanks

Actually, there is very little you can do about it!Thats just the end-play,you could do some minor shimming but the c-clips require(x") to install.My 8.25" does the same thing!

Have you inspected the exhaust pipe hanger located above the transmission crossmember? It's common for the bracket to break lose and allow the pipe to walk around and bang into the crossmember.

Usually the pipe hanger failing is followed (and possibly preceeded) by failing motor mounts.

Back