• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I get the headliner trim off?

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. My 89 has the infamous sagging headliner, so the wife picked up 3 yards of felt for me. My question is, how does the side headliner trim come off? I assume there's screws under the plugs on the windshield posts. But I can see no screws anywhere on the side trim.....?

Thanks for any tips.
Don

some of the screws are the screws that hold the handles on...I had to start from the back an remove everything going forward. Takes about 20 minutes total.

Thanks for the reply, Imma. After taking another look, I see some screws at the back hatch, and along the rear side trim. I'll take your advice and start at the hatch area. Thanks.

RE: Headliner

Is there much of a difference when there is a sunroof involved? As with most 89 XJ owners I am plagued as well.

Thanks

no prob. The only reason I know it is I just took mine out, so its still fresh in my head. I havent recovered mine yet though. hope all goes smooth.

also, under the oh shit handles are torx screws that hold up the trim pieces. as with any time you work on a jeep you will need a good set of torx wrenches.

Re: RE: Headliner

mudhound32 said:
Is there much of a difference when there is a sunroof involved? As with most 89 XJ owners I am plagued as well.

Thanks

you remove the screw on the center of the knob, then pull the cover off, then carefully remove the rubber trim from the headliner.

it's not fun to get that trim back on, but it's possible...

been there... done that... said alotta bad words in the process...

myxj12.jpg

(that's a 2000 XJ headliner, BTW. MUCH better construction)

this is nice too ;)
myxj10.jpg

Re: Re: RE: Headliner

CheapXJ said:
you remove the screw on the center of the knob, then pull the cover off, then carefully remove the rubber trim from the headliner.

it's not fun to get that trim back on, but it's possible...

Hey Cheap thanks for the reply. You did your headliner? Looks great! Did you use spray contact cement? One last question regarding the removal of the lights. It seems they are riveted to the headliner. Is this the case? Can you just pull off the lights and get them back on afterwards? Appreciate your response.

Back