• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP D44 question

CW

NAXJA Forum User
I just pulled a '79 hp d44 from an f-150 minus the axles and breaks for 75 bucks. I know it has cast mounts but it was the only high pinion drivers side drop I found in 4 months of searching, so it will have to work. Is there another vehicle I could pull the axles and brakes off of? Would chevy shafts work? It is amazing that I can not get these axles anywhere :mad: Would the brakes from an IFS truck work? I would rather not spend $300 on alloy shafts now but if I can't find a replacement I guess I can live without a locker.

*edited* because I don't know the difference between break and brake :rolleyes:

Last edited:
break= destroy
Brakes= stopping power.

Having said that. Chevy axle stubs will work, but not sure about the main shafts on the respective sides. BTW, your lockouts will require a fender washer and a bolt to retain them if yopu go this route. The Chevy outers are about 1/4" off for the lockout center retainer c-clip to be employed.

CW. said:
I just pulled a '79 hp d44 from an f-150 minus the axles and breaks for 75 bucks. I know it has cast mounts but it was the only high pinion drivers side drop I found in 4 months of searching, so it will have to work. Is there another vehicle I could pull the axles and brakes off of? Would chevy shafts work? It is amazing that I can not get these axles anywhere :mad: Would the brakes from an IFS truck work? I would rather not spend $300 on alloy shafts now but if I can't find a replacement I guess I can live without a locker.

*edited* because I don't know the difference between break and brake :rolleyes:

Couldn't you just grab a d44 from an XJ? I found 3 so far on my search for about $200 or less.

Curt

Re: Re: Re: HP D44 question

CW. said:
Were talkin' front axle here. ;) Got a 9" in the rear.:moon:

Oops, my bad.

Curt

Can I use ford stub shafts with chevy nuckles? I need to retain the 5 on 5.5 lug pattern, but I would like the flat top nuckles for high steer. Can I use IFS D44 stub shafts, and brakes? I can find tons of those. If anyone has a link that lists compatible parts I would appreciate it,

your axle with the castings can still be narrowed to waggy size if you wish too by narrowing from the center housing out. then you can use waggy axles brakes calipers etc. then it wil be close to stockwidth.

xjnation said:
your axle with the castings can still be narrowed to waggy size if you wish too by narrowing from the center housing out. then you can use waggy axles brakes calipers etc. then it wil be close to stockwidth.

I want to keep it full width.:D

Sorry, no links.

The stubs should be a match for the spindle. I know there are exceptions, but I can't remember off had what they are.

So you can uses a chevy knuckle, caliper bracket, caliper, early style spindle, and stub shaft mated with a ford hub and rotor and keep the 5 X 5.5" pattern. I believe you use the Chevy inner bearing and the outter is a ford piece. I believe Goatman used the IFS ford pieces for the rotor and hub.

I don't know if you can use all IFS Ford pieces from the knuckle out. I think the ball joints are different, but don't hold me to that.

Lincoln

OK, I did some searching and didn't really find much, but the article over at Pirate about the d30/44 hybrid gave enough info, I think. I am thinking of using k10 knuckles, k10 ball joints, k10 stub shaft, Waggy Caliper bracket, k10 spindles, ford rotors, and ford hubs and lockouts. That should give me a decent axle with hy steer.

Go back to Pirate and search for posts by MrN,at the bottem of all of his post is a link to his ultimate Dana 44 info.It will tell you anything you want to know.I think the Ford outer axles are the same length as Waggy's.The Chevy spindle you need is a small bearing one.I'm not sure what years it came in.I just put a Dana44HP in my XJ.I narrowed it so it took Waggy axles inner and outer.I also used the knuckles off of a 77-79 F150 Xtra Cab,Fords Dana 44 flat tops.HTH.

drewbbie said:
could some one please pm me that info you were talking about i got pretty much the same problem i got a houseing but i need the rest to make it roll
wow,ripped this from the ole' time vault huh?

Back