• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did they ever figure out the overheating problems on the newer XJs.....

TRNDRVR

NAXJA Forum User
and what year did they accomplish this?. :confused:
I am in need of a new rig and I am considering a later model XJ as my daily driver. Any info would be apprecaited.
TIA,
Dan.

What overheating problem ?? I'm at 183,000mi and [knock on wood] mine handles off road crawling in the summer fine. I just take care of my cooling system every year with a flush, thermostat, pressure cap and a refill.

Even on the hottest days, I've never had it climb more than 1-2 degrees above 210 (where it is supposed to be). YMMV, but I've never heard of anyone with a late model XJ having overheating troubles.

just make sure I am NOT the one doing the tuneup with your Jeep, since I am the major cause of overheating of Jeeps! :D

oh now that dan's making the big bucks he needs a new rig?? lucky bastard...:D my 99 doesnt overheat.... are you confusing this with the normal running temp of the 4.0L?? the only overheating ive heard of is a result of another mechanical or computer system malfunctioning... my 99 runs right at the 210 mark, and only creeps above on the hottest days ...... then the elec fan brings it right down.. my 87 runs right around 220 consistantly and a lil higher when i'm crawling rocks in the heat... well good luck on the new XJ dan.. i'm sure you wont be disappointed with it.... one thing i'll say about the comparison between newer and older.. my 87 is easier to drive than the 99... the required steering input is quite a bit more on the newer one... i can "1 finger" the wheel in the 87....
mike

Dan, I am the only one I know of who has an overheating prob with the new style. Mine is a computer glitch that wont tell the fatory fan to come on at the proper time. Now that it is fall and the temps are in the 40s - 50s, it runs fine evern with out a fan. Dont worry about it.

sidriptide said:
oh now that dan's making the big bucks he needs a new rig?? lucky bastard...:D my 99 doesnt overheat.... are you confusing this with the normal running temp of the 4.0L?? the only overheating ive heard of is a result of another mechanical or computer system malfunctioning... my 99 runs right at the 210 mark, and only creeps above on the hottest days ...... then the elec fan brings it right down.. my 87 runs right around 220 consistantly and a lil higher when i'm crawling rocks in the heat... well good luck on the new XJ dan.. i'm sure you wont be disappointed with it.... one thing i'll say about the comparison between newer and older.. my 87 is easier to drive than the 99... the required steering input is quite a bit more on the newer one... i can "1 finger" the wheel in the 87....
mike
I shouldn't have said "overheating problems".
What I really meant to say was "running warm/cooling problems".
My daily driver, which is an 83 Nissan Sentra that I bought for $300. 5 years ago is sitting dead out in my driveway. Died the first time I tried to drive it after Moab. For $300 and 5 years worth of use, it's not worth fixing. Fortunately I have my 91 to drive, but it's not supposed to be my daily driver. I'll probably just end up getting a minivan. :eek:
Dan.

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT.

There is no way you can be cool while driving a minivan.

Get a Aspen or a Granada or something, but please not a minivan.

Um, I think it's illegal to own both a Jeep and a minivan. At least where I grew up (down South) you can be tar'd-n-feather'd for that!:D

Scott Mac. said:
NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT.

There is no way you can be cool while driving a minivan.

Get a Aspen or a Granada or something, but please not a minivan.
Are we talking a 340 Aspen or slant 6? :D

that minivan joke wasn't even funny dan!!! thats the woman living vicariously thru you.... besides.. my registrations say i drive a station wagon! get a newer XJ and you'll be more than happy dan... sounds like its time to let the trusty Nissan rest in peace..... good luck in the anti-minivan arguement dan! :D
mike

sidriptide said:
that minivan joke wasn't even funny dan!!! thats the woman living vicariously thru you.... besides.. my registrations say i drive a station wagon! get a newer XJ and you'll be more than happy dan... sounds like its time to let the trusty Nissan rest in peace..... good luck in the anti-minivan arguement dan! :D
mike
Thanks for all the info guys, buuuut, if I told you I bought the minivan, could we still be friends and can I still be a member of your club? :confused:

I still have a sig worth bragging about. See! Isn't that good for something? :D

it's a "don't ask.. don't tell.." issue, kinda like gays in the military..... (not that there's anything wrong with that...) but my friendship can be bought with beer....
mike

sidriptide said:
that minivan joke wasn't even funny dan!!! thats the woman living vicariously thru you....

Dude, I am such a woman! My wife and I bought a '04 Honda Odyssey in September. We're having child #3 on 11/14 (cessarian), and the oldest will be turning 4 in December. It was either a minivan or a Suburban. My wife didn't want the Suburban due to the PIA it is to climb over seats in order to belt the kids in their seats. Besides with the Odyssey, we'll be able to barely afford for me to replace my 182K '90 XJ with a '97 - '01 XJ. Now if only somebody would buy my '90.

Roy

royta said:
Dude, I am such a woman!
Roy
You too, uh? Wanna go shopping for shoes this weekend with me? :D

Really though, I know this is getting off topic, but it was either a Suburban/Tahoe, or a minivan. Got the minivan. Now all I have to do is find a license plate frame for it that says "Not the Wifes". :D

TRNDRVR said:
You too, uh? Wanna go shopping for shoes this weekend with me? :D

Really though, I know this is getting off topic, but it was either a Suburban/Tahoe, or a minivan. Got the minivan. Now all I have to do is find a license plate frame for it that says "Not the Wifes". :D

Hey Dan, the shoe shopping trip needs to be for snow boots..........now put on your pants boy, we're going JEEPING this weekend!

(Nat and I were having the 'Burb VS Van debate just the other day)

Scott Mac. said:
Did you guys get the optional storage sack on the passenger door that leaves your cajones next your wives?:D
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Back