• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What degree shims needed for 91' w/3.5" RE Springs?

woodyjeep

NAXJA Forum User
title says it all, I've got a 91 briarwood with a 242 transfer case and I got the 3.5" RE Leafs in back and I need some shims. I don't have a lot of money to buy em all, anyone got experience with this?

Hi

I have 6 degree shims in my 2000 Xj with a 242 and the same springs.
However the only true way is to measure the driveline angles with agood angle finder and go from there.
It also depends on what kind of driveshaft you use.

Do a search and read up.

Tom

The older cherokees are not as critical here is what I ran

3.5" 2* 6.5" 4* and installed an hack and tap SYE when I went to 6.5" nver had any vibes

Is that with or without a TC drop?

xjnation said:
The older cherokees are not as critical here is what I ran

3.5" 2* 6.5" 4* and installed an hack and tap SYE when I went to 6.5" nver had any vibes

A TC drop does almost nothing for driveshaft length,only angles.You appear to be about 1.5-2" off in length!

This is what an TC drop and shimms did for the yoke on the TC drive shaft.

1067591036_Slip_yoke_TC_overview.jpg

I grinded of 2* from the 6* shimms, took me about 5 hours of grinding.................... to get them done.

If I knew my neighbour sold me that good quality steel I just had him made new ones for $12.
only a little vibe at 38 mph..
Even the old before lifting vibes at 65 mph are gone. I think these where from the old sagged leaf packs.
Hve to measure and check the angles again as soon as it stops raining.
Think I grinded of 1/2* to much..............

.............O well I'm happy for the time being, now Im going to find out how to put in a front drive shaft into the back because if I order one from the USA the approx. $250 and shipping $50 (weight) will cost a bundle. And customs will throw some tax on that $300.
So all together the new CV will cost me almost $ 400.

Only ordering the SYE when times and $$ comes will be a better idear money wise.

Right, thanks for all your input.

Later.

RCP Phx said:
A TC drop does almost nothing for driveshaft length,only angles.You appear to be about 1.5-2" off in length!

Last edited:
Back