• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring bolt rusted,..

BILLXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for some options after trying to remove the front leaf bushing bolt and haveing the welded nut on the inside of the "frame-rail" break off. :mad: -After trying all evening,I have finally hacked my way though the rear floorpan down into the area behind the rusted-off portion and tommorow will attempt again to retract the leaf spring bolt by clamping that rusted nut with something ,I don't know what at this point -I guess my question is,with all the metal I've removed in my haste to get at this rusted nut will it be okay to just run another longer leaf-spring bolt though the bushing and frame to the inside "frame" with maybe a lock-nut , to this novice mechanic this area around where the leaf spring mounts attach to the unibody looks structully critical and might demand/require another different process to return it to some reasonable structual integrity-Any thoughts/commentary
TIA

Dude, Im in the EXACT same boat as you.... Except, I have not gotten the balls up yet to cut a whole in the floor to get the damn bolt out.

Let me know how it all works out and GOOD LUCK....I know your pain.

TOEHEAD

I just finished dealing with this. If you look closely, there is a pocket of metal that sits outside the frame rail, this is where the nut is welded. It's easy to see with the leaf spring removed. I cut a square out of the bottom of this pocket, bought a new nut, welded the new nut to an 1/8" square piece of metal with a 9/16" hole I drilled in it, then put that square up in that pocket, bolted it up, and welded it up. It's not necessary to cut the floorboard.

xj92 said:
I just finished dealing with this. If you look closely, there is a pocket of metal that sits outside the frame rail, this is where the nut is welded. It's easy to see with the leaf spring removed. I cut a square out of the bottom of this pocket, bought a new nut, welded the new nut to an 1/8" square piece of metal with a 9/16" hole I drilled in it, then put that square up in that pocket, bolted it up, and welded it up. It's not necessary to cut the floorboard.

Just went through this also and did almost exactly the same thing as xj92. No need to go through the floorboard. I used a dremel to do the cut into the metal pocket and smeared everything that went back on with gobs of anti-sieze because I don't want to go through that hell again!

Back