• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now we haveTPS Issues

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have my high idle issue narrowed down to the TPS. Does anyone have instructions on how to adjust a 5 speed equiped XJ to the appropriate voltage? All I have been able to find is instructions for Automatics. I still havent ruled out that I may end up replacing the TPS all together.

Thanks

No difference

There is no difference in the tps between the automatic and the stick. Just look for the .026v with the throttle at curb idle position, a/c off, engine off, ignition on.

TPS Adjust- Manual Tranny

According to my files, the adjustment procedure (only for those of us with non-HO engines)is different for auto vs. standard transmission. I saved this information, posted by Joe H in January 1999:
Manual Transmission:

The TPS terminals are marked A, B, and C on the back of the harness connector.
1) Turn the ignition key to the on position.
DO NOT UNFASTEN THE SENSOR WIRE HARNESS CONNECTOR. WITHOUT DAMAGING THE SENSOR WIRES, INSERT THE VOLTMETER LEADS THROUGH THE BACK OF THE WIRE HARNESS CONNECTOR TO MAKE CONTACT WITH THE SENSOR TERMINALS.
2) Check the sensor input voltage. Insert the negative lead of the voltmeter into the back of terminal
(B) and the positive lead into the back of terminal (A). Ensure that the idle plate (valve) is completely
closed against the idle stop. Note the sensor input voltage.
3) Check the sensor output voltage. Disconnect the voltmeter positive lead from sensor terminal (A) and connect it to terminal (C). Ensure that the throttle plate is in the closed position. Note the sensor output voltage.
4) Divide the output voltage reading by the input voltage reading. The desired ratio is .825 to .835 (.830 desired)
EXAMPLE: if the input voltage is 5V and the output is 4.15V; divide 4.15 by 5 (4.15/5 = .83 or 83%)
5) If necessary, adjust the TPS until the correct ratio is obtained. To adjust input and output voltages, loosen the sensor bottom mounting screw and pivot the sensor for a large adjustment. Loosen the top screw and pivot the sensor for a fine adjustment. Adjust the sensor until the proper ratio is obtained.
6) Remove the voltmeter. Tighten the sensor mounting screws securely.
Joe H states this is from the 1989 factory service manual- and it agrees with other postings here. The auto and manual adjustments are not quite the same. 4xBob

Back